cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPS22DF, STMicroelectronics’s first pressure sensor to receive the NextNav Certification thanks to unique features

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Summary

LPS22DF is STMicroelectronics first pressure sensor to receive the NextNav Certification thanks to unique features. It is an ultracompact, piezoresistive, absolute pressure sensor that functions as a digital output barometer, with a unique full-molded package to ensure dust and mold resistance. The LPS22DF provides lower power consumption, achieving lower pressure noise than its predecessor. As a result, makers can use the device in many manufacturing settings without worrying about dust damage. Moreover, the LPS22DF is different because it embeds a unique MEMS design that reduces the drift significantly and accelerates the recovery after soldering. In certain settings, makers could even do away with a recalibration after soldering. Thanks to STMicroelectronics robust ecosystem, it is easy to start running simple applications taking advantage of the LPS22DF very quickly and testing the results to start working on an application.

Introduction

With the advent of activity tracking, pressure sensors must adapt to a much broader array of physical settings. From mountain climbing to swimming, the sensors must reliably track the user to provide accurate information about their physical activity. The problem is that climbing a hill or stairs is an entirely different scale than swimming in a pool, as the body of water exerts a very different pressure. For instance, diving under 10 meters of water exerts a pressure of 14.5 PSI, the same atmospheric pressure at sea level. Hence, pressure sensors must account for very different conditions without blowing up the power consumption.

The LPS22DF solves this issue by being the first pressure sensor with two full-scale. Hence, the device can detect whether the user is above or below water and switch to one of its two scales. The LPS22DF supports a maximum pressure of 1260 hPa and consumes 9.4 µa in high-performance mode. Comparatively, the LPS22HB needs 12 µA for a maximum of 1260 hPa. The gains in efficiency are even more essential when considering that these sensors are very likely to end up in wearables.

The LPS22DF pressure sensor has officially received the NextNav certification, which guarantees performance and reliability for geolocation and other types of applications. The qualification thus delivers new assurances to an increasing number of makers needing precise vertical positioning information for regulatory or market reasons. Hence, the NextNav certification serves as an objective and external recognition of its capabilities, encouraging makers to adopt it.

Why is the industry adopting the NextNav Certification?

The challenge of meeting new requirements for 911 calls

On March 2018, the United States Congress passed the RAY BAUM’S Act, which, among other things, mandates that "dispatchable location" information include details such as floor levels or room numbers when dialing 911. The goal was to ensure that emergency services could rapidly respond, whether the caller used a landline, cellphone, VoIP, or other technologies. One way the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) implemented these new regulations was through its Enhanced 911, which set new standards for accuracy in latitude, longitude, and vertical positioning.

Consequently, the network provider must transmit more information to Public Safety Answering Points (PSAP), which receive the 911 call, and a voice-capable device must gather it. While PSAP and networks have been updated, the last holdout was the consumer device making the call. Regulators have started mandating that as of 2021, all voice-capable systems must meet the requirements set by the RAY BAUM’S Act and the FCC. Makers must, therefore, rapidly meet this new challenge if they want to operate in the United States. One of the issues was to show that their phones, tablets, smartwatches, IoT devices, and other voice-capable products were accurate enough to meet the new standards. That is where NextNav comes in.

NextNav Certification as a solution

NextNav Certified is a program established by NextNav to ensure that devices, applications, and solutions meet specific requirements to utilize their technology effectively, such as E911 devices. This certification ensures that products and services integrate seamlessly with NextNav’s vertical positioning location services and have undergone rigorous testing to meet performance benchmarks. A NextNav certification thus demonstrates that a product is reliable, accurate, and compatible with NextNav’s technology.

Beyond devices and applications calling emergency services, new systems are also seeking NextNav certifications. For instance, WiFi 6E/7 devices use pressure sensors to establish a precise vertical position and thus ensure a maximum access point (AP) power mode and coverage. A NextNav certificate often plays a role in helping a company decide whether to qualify one device over another for a specific application. New network devices also use such MEMS to report their location. Put simply, accurate and reliable pressure sensors like the LPS22DF are opening the door to new use cases in consumers and industrial markets, to only name a few.

What makes the LPS22DF special?

DeniseSANFILIPPO_1-1687792896097.jpeg

The packaging

If the LPS22DF received the NextNav certification, it is because the device has characteristics that stand out. For instance, it has a unique full-molded package to ensure dust and mold resistance. While traditional packages use a cavity, STMicroelectronics uses microscopic holes much smaller than the traditional 20 µm dust particles. Consequently, the device lets the air through, but it is not sensitive to the degradation caused by dust thanks to the microscopic holes and a silicon cap protecting the sensing membrane. In fact, the package can withstand such dusty environments it qualifies for the JEDEC J-STD-020 standard. As a result, makers can use the device in many manufacturing settings without worrying that the dust will damage it.

The architecture

Another feature that makes the LPS22DF unique in the industry is the ability to incur less drift while showcasing faster recovery after soldering. This is a critical aspect because, traditionally, the extreme heat needed during the soldering process significantly disrupts the MEMS’s accuracy. Consequently, manufacturers must proceed to extensive calibration operations, which adds to the overall time and costs. The LPS22DF is different because it embeds a unique MEMS design that reduces the drift significantly and accelerates the recovery after soldering. In certain settings, makers could even do away with a recalibration after soldering. Additionally, the LPS22DF’s design provides long-term stability by limiting the drift over time.

The ecosystem

The best way to experiment with the LPS22DF is to grab the STEVAL-MKI224V1, a daughter board for the X-NUCLEO-IKS01A3 or the STEVAL-MKI109V3. Developers can use our Unico-GUI to configure the pressure sensor, take measurements, and enjoy a graphical interface to simplify their workflow. Drivers for the LPS22DF are available on GitHub, and a ready-to-use library capable of detecting altitude changes and distinguishing between various vertical movements, such as stairs, elevators, and escalators, is available in the X-CUBE-MEMS1 software package. Consequently, it is easy to start running simple applications taking advantage of the LPS22DF very quickly and testing the results to start working on an application.

Comments
ljm
Associate III

Hello,
I hope you are well,
I am currently using the LPS22DF pressure sensor but in an environment containing dust and water.
For the waterproofing of the sensor (dust and water), do you make any products (specific gaskets or membranes)? If so, please recommend suitable references for the LPS22DF.

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hello @ljm

ST also offers the new pressure sensor with water-resistant package, which is for sure suitable for your application: its name is LPS28DFW.

For dust protection, it is better to use a special gasket. Some customer use for example Gore-tek tissue.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Accept as Solution at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

Levan
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO 
Is LPS28DFW also NextNav certified one?

ljm
Associate III

hello @Denise SANFILIPPO 

thank you for your feedback,
Concerning the application of the sensor, I need a water protection rating of at least IPX3. Does the LPS28DFW meet this requirement?

Thank you very much

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @Levan,

LPS28DFW is not actually certified Nextnav, but would be fit to Nextnav application even if it is not certified.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Accept as Solution at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

LPS28DFW is certified as IP58 without any failure from test for compliance with IEC60529 and ISO20653.

ljm
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO 

Thank you for replying.

another question please, what is the IP of the LPS22DF, because actually i'm between 2 choices : LPS22DF or LPS28DFW.

Thank you very much 

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

LPS22DF has no IP level since it is barometer with vent holes which is not designed for waterproof. Vent holes can help to avoid the dust and contamination, but it would be still potential risk.

ljm
Associate III

@Denise SANFILIPPO 

Hello,
I have a question.
For the LPS22DF, in fact I do shock tests, and I compare the measurement of the sensor with a reference, in a certain number of shocks I saw that the difference was 20 mbar but when I continue the test with more shocks I saw that the difference was decreased to 13 mbar, is it the membrane that has moved? or another mechanical phenomenon that has passed?

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

what kind of shocks are you applying to the pressure sensor LPS22DF?
Do you also read the temperature value as well as the pressure?

ljm
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO 

I'm applying tests of 10,000 and 20,000 shocks (between 200 and 300 g each).
Yes, I'm measuring the temperature (between 19°C and 24°C).

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

and how many samples of LPS22DF are you testing?

ljm
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO 

10 samples

ljm
Associate III

hi @Denise SANFILIPPO 

only the sample number 8 has this deviation from 13 mbar of difference to 20 mbar and by continuing to test, it was back to 13mbar of difference.

the rest of samples are all the sample difference of measurements .

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

First of all, the sensor LPS22DF, as it is built, if it is altered by a shock, it breaks. Partial displacements of accuracy or other issues are not possible. And if it breaks, it can reach even more than 2000 mbar, not 13-20 mbar. That being said, a typical sensor compared to a reference has a difference of a few mbar, typically below 5 mbar.
The fact that it already has 20 mbar and then drops to 13 mbar may be due to an unreliable reference.
The other possibility is that, since 9 out of 10 pieces behave "well", this piece may have been contaminated during soldering. There are ventilation holes on the surface, and if the soldering is not well done, contaminants can enter.

ljm
Associate III

Hello,
what is the response time of the LPS22DF sensor (for measuring pressure and temperature)?

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

after setting the ODR (Hz) and the averages (AVG), in the worst case the response time is 1/ODR + conversion time. For the conversion time, you can refer to Table 3 of the application note AN5699.

ljm
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO 

Can tell me please about the IP (protection index) of LPS27HHW ?

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

LPS27HHW has no IP level, since it was not certified.

ljm
Associate III

Hello @Denise SANFILIPPO 

thanks for relying.

I have question please, for the pressure sensor LPS22DF or LPS28DFW,  the measurement of pressure is it dependance with the measurement of temperature ? means for example if  i have a problem about the pressure value, the value of temperature will be affected also ? 

Thank you  

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

the value of temperature is independent of pressure, while the value of pressure depends on temperature.

ljm
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO  , i have 2 questions please :

first one , in datasheet the response time indicated is that the response time to mesure the pressure or the temperature ?

Second question, if the sensor indicates an incorrect temperature value, then automatically the pressure values will also be incorrect, in which case the problem is in the sensor (inside the sensor at the diaphragm)? 

thank you very much 

ljm
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO 

the LPS22DF is it an piezo resisitif sensor or  capacitive pressure sensor ?

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm,

the conversion time is the same for both pressure and temperature (you can refer to Table 3 of the application note AN5699).

The answer to your question "If the sensor indicates an incorrect temperature value, then automatically the pressure values will also be incorrect, in which case the problem is in the sensor (inside the sensor at the diaphragm)?" is that it depends on where the defect is localized.

LPS22DF is a piezoresistive pressure sensor.

ljm
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO @
thank you for your feedback,
If I understand correctly, the problem of incorrect measurements may be membrane damage, or misalignment / displacement of internal sensor components such as resistors?

ljm
Associate III

Hi @Denise SANFILIPPO  

Hello,
I'm currently using your LPS22DFmodule to measure pressure and I saw in the datasheet that the temperature accuracy is  ±1.5 °C (T = 0 to 80°C). My working range is between -15°C and 60°C. Could you please give me the accuracy of this sensor in the range -15 to 65°C?

Denise SANFILIPPO
ST Employee

Hi @ljm ,

We tested few parts and I confirm you that the accuracy was around 2°C but consider that we considered a limited number of pcs and thus this value can't be guaranteed in production.

Version history
Last update:
‎2023-06-27 07:25 AM
Updated by: