cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I download the BlueNRG stack images?

BPaik
Senior

I have been searching through the ST website to try to find the BlueNRG stack image v2.1c (the bluetooth 5.2 compliant version). If I search "stage image" under the "Tools and Software" section, I get results for other versions (such as STSW-BNRG-V63, STSW-BNRG-V64, STSW-BNRG-V73) whose release notes have older dates despite having higher revision numbers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Winfred LU
ST Employee

Please refer to AN5651 Update procedure and configuration in DTM firmware for X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1

The (prebuilt) firmware image can be found in BlueNRG-M2 web page, selecting the Documentation tab and then Utilities at the page bottom.

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/wireless-connectivity/short-range/bluetooth-low-energy-application-processors/bluenrg-m2.html

By default, the DTM image (stack v2.1c) for the BlueNRG-M2SP is: en.BlueNRGM2SA_M2SP_DTM_Stack_v2_1c\BlueNRGM2SA_M2SP_DTM_Stack_v2.1c\BLUENRGM2SP_32MHz_RO_SMPS_off\SPI\BLUENRG-M2SP_DTM_SPI.hex 

Alternately, as you've knew, you can build the image from BlueNRG-1/2 DK, with DTM project:

C:\Users\<user id>\ST\BlueNRG-1_2 DK 3.2.1\Project\BLE_Examples\DTM\

The BLUENRG-M2SP module has:

• 32 MHz crystal oscillator
  • LDO converter

So the DTM project should be customized with followed preprocessors:

• HS_SPEED_XTAL=HS_SPEED_XTAL_32MHZ
  • LS_SOURCE=LS_SOURCE_INTERNAL_RO
  • SMPS_INDUCTOR=SMPS_INDUCTOR_NONE

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Winfred LU
ST Employee

Those (V63, V64, V73) are versions for the stack, from old to new: V63 < V64 < V73

Please reference the release notes for different versions in BlueNRG GUI or DK package:

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.2c

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.2b

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.2a

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.2

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.1e

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.1c

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.1b

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.1a

BlueNRG-MS Stack v7.1

BlueNRG Stack v6.4b

BlueNRG Stack v6.4

BlueNRG Stack APIs v6.4 vs v6.3

BlueNRG Stack v6.3

BPaik
Senior

There appear to be some discrepancies in the release information regarding the BlueNRG stack. I downloaded the stack v7.3 (which should be the most recent version based on your response). The release notes provided in the download says it is BLE v4.2 compliant. The product page for the BlueNRG2 says it is BLE v5.2 compliant, so v7.3 cannot be the latest release. However, I don't see any BlueNRG2 stack versions past v7.3 on the website, so which one is BLE v5.2 compliant?

The information in BlueNRG Navigator provided with the BlueNRG DK v3.2.1 makes this even more confusing. The release notes don't make any mention of stack v7.3. Instead, the latest version appears to be 2.1c. This would seem to be a much older stack version than v7.3, but the date given is 30-April-2020 - which is actually fairly recent. If there are release notes in the BlueNRG DK that refer to v7.2c or 7.3, where can I find them?

Winfred LU
ST Employee

BLE stack images such as v7.1, v7.2, v7.3 are for BlueNRG/-MS transceiver.

The images and release notes can be found in BlueNRG DK.

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/evaluation-tool-software/stsw-bluenrg-dk.html

For BlueNRG-1/BlueNRG-2 SoCs, the BLE stack will be linked in the firmware as a library, the version would be v1, v2, v2.1c etc:

BlueNRG-BLE Stack Library v_2_1c (30-April-2020)

BlueNRG-BLE Stack Library v_2_1b (06-March-2020)

BlueNRG-BLE Stack Library v_2_1a (14-December-2018)

BlueNRG-BLE Stack Library v_2_1 (22-June-2018)

BlueNRG-BLE Stack Library v_2_0 (14-June-2017)

BlueNRG1 BLE Stack_V_1_0a (07-october-2016)

BlueNRG1 BLE Stack_V_1_0 (05-July-2016)

The library and release notes can be found in BlueNRG-1/-2 DK.

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/evaluation-tool-software/stsw-bluenrg1-dk.html

BPaik
Senior

Thanks for your response, it is beginning to make sense to me now. I have been experimenting with the X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1 expander board. Using CubeMX, I've developed an application using the BLUENRG-M2SP as a network coprocessor for the STM32L476RGTx (from the X-CUBE-BLE2 sensor demo software pack). The BLUENRG-M2SP on the X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1 was already programmed as a network coprocessor when I purchased it, so the application I developed for the STM32L476RGTx was able to communicate with the BLE stack over SPI. I am now working on my own PCB that uses the BLUENRG-M2SP as a network coprocessor for an STM32F405RG via SPI. It is my understanding that the BLUENRG-M2SP is based on the BlueNRG2, and the part does not come pre-programmed. Essentially, I am trying to locate the latest software image that the BLUENRG-M2SP on the X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1 comes programmed with. Based on your response, I would assume that the BLUENRG-M2SP on the X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1 is programmed with one of the SPI slave peripheral examples in the BlueNRG-1/2 DK, but I am not sure which one (for example, for the DMA version, the path would be C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\BlueNRG-1_2 DK 3.2.1\Firmware\BlueNRG1_Periph_Examples\SPI\Slave_Dma\BlueNRG-2). Since the release notes for the BlueNRG DK v3.2.1 specify BLE stack v2.1c, these binaries should be BLE v5.2 compliant. Can you confirm if this is the correct conclusion? If not, can you specify the directory where I can find the binaries the BLUENRG-M2SP on the X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1 is programmed with?

Winfred LU
ST Employee

Please refer to AN5651 Update procedure and configuration in DTM firmware for X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1

The (prebuilt) firmware image can be found in BlueNRG-M2 web page, selecting the Documentation tab and then Utilities at the page bottom.

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/wireless-connectivity/short-range/bluetooth-low-energy-application-processors/bluenrg-m2.html

By default, the DTM image (stack v2.1c) for the BlueNRG-M2SP is: en.BlueNRGM2SA_M2SP_DTM_Stack_v2_1c\BlueNRGM2SA_M2SP_DTM_Stack_v2.1c\BLUENRGM2SP_32MHz_RO_SMPS_off\SPI\BLUENRG-M2SP_DTM_SPI.hex 

Alternately, as you've knew, you can build the image from BlueNRG-1/2 DK, with DTM project:

C:\Users\<user id>\ST\BlueNRG-1_2 DK 3.2.1\Project\BLE_Examples\DTM\

The BLUENRG-M2SP module has:

• 32 MHz crystal oscillator
  • LDO converter

So the DTM project should be customized with followed preprocessors:

• HS_SPEED_XTAL=HS_SPEED_XTAL_32MHZ
  • LS_SOURCE=LS_SOURCE_INTERNAL_RO
  • SMPS_INDUCTOR=SMPS_INDUCTOR_NONE

The firmware is not the most recent one.

I can only find v2.1e but some of my boards are already using BlueNRG-2 FW v2.1f DTM SPI v3.4.0

Would you please tell me where to find the newest version?