cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STUSB1602 SPI interface

Hello there,

I am currently analyzing the STUSB1602 chip and the P-NUCLEO-USB002 eval kit. I have come across a topic I am not fully certain about. Its the SPI interface for the BMC communication. I cannot understand either it is necessary in all applications, or only if I want to exchange some specific data between devices over CC line? For example, if I intend to create a sink only device, so I have to connect the SPI lines and provide any data from the MCU? I would appreciate all help.

47 REPLIES 47
Yes I did,
Nothing happens as well (no led)...
Benoit FORET
ST Employee

​so, if both boards (which use different devices) reject the original attach, it means there could be an issue with the SOURCE (VBUS different from vSafe 5V, discharge issue, not cold socket etc...) or with the Type-C cable (please use the one from P-NUCLEO-USB002 pack when possible). Do you confirm both  boards still work with STEVAL-ISC004V1? If you can't find the issue, I'm interested to borrow your AC adapter to have a look at it (and ship back of course). Did you perform some trials with your DELL laptop?

Yes, both boards still work.
I tried the good cable provided with nucleo board, also doesnt work.
As for the AC adapter I can lend it to you without a problem.
As for the dell, I was not able to charge it with the STEVAL-ISC004V1. The laptop found the charger, but refused to charge. I believe this could be done on purpose by dell.
I only did not yet try to obtain higher voltages from the laptop using P-NUCLEO-USB002. Will test that today and let you know. Thanks.

Benoit,

Unfortunetally, I left the at the P-NUCLEO-USB002 office and cannot check either I can get better voltages from the dell PC... I will check that asap at monday and let you know.

As for the mentioned charger, it consists of 2 ports: USB A and USB C:

0690X000006COLBQA4.png 

If I connect my android phone to the USB C (USB C ,-> USB C cable), I get a system message that fast charging is in progress:

0690X000006COL1QAO.jpg

While if I connect it to the USB A ports (using USB C to USB A plug cable), I get regular charging:

0690X000006COL6QAO.jpg

This would suggest that the phone made a handshake with the charger over USB C. I wonder why didnt this work with the eval boards.

Benoit FORET
ST Employee

​Hi Lukasz,

To check what is happening with STEVAL-ISC004V1, I recommend to use the associated GUI (STSW-STUSB001) (STM32 NUCLEO board required to run it). The GUI include a Dashboard that collects the SINK profile, so that you can check consistency with the SOURCE profile. It also report the agreed contract between the 2 devices.

Also please note that your charger also support former Qualcomm QC3.0 on top of USB PD, which is likely the fast charge protocol also implemented in your smartphone. This protocol is not implemented on the eval board you have.

bye,

Benoit

Hi Benoit, thank you for answer.
I will dow load the gui app then and check what is going on there. I have some nucleos laying around, is any specific one required and does it need any specific firmware?
As for the charging the phone, what you say is probably right, but keep in mind that I was able to charge this exact phone through P-NUCLEO-USB002 (profile 1, 5V in console). So it seems the phone does support usb PD.
Benoit,
Ok, I found out that I need NUCLEO-F072RB from the product site: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/solution-evaluation-tools/psu-and-converter-solution-eval-boards/steval-isc004v1.html
I can buy that nucleo from a local distributor. But I couldnt find any firmware that should be written into this bucleo rom in order to work with the gui app.
Benoit FORET
ST Employee

​Hi Lukasz,

there is a .bin file into STSW-STUSB001 software package that you need to drag and drop into the Nucleo + an .exe (GUI). the User Manual is called: "UM2254: STSW-STUSB001 quick installation guide"

rgds,

Benoit

Thank you, will order the nucleo and check this out.

Hello Benoit,

I should have the needed Nucleo tommorow. As for now, I have some results on connecting the P-NUCLEO-USB002 to the Dell precision 7730 machine. I would consider this one a pretty "high end", but it seems that it can only provide 5V... Please take a look:

P-NUCLEO-USB00x Demo v1.0.4
Console v0.4
Type help for a list of commands.
STMicroelectronics
Copyright (c) 2017 - All Rights Reserved.
>
*** [1] attached on CC2 (Sink)

*** [1] selected cap #1

>s 1
Role: Sink - Explicit contract CC2 Profile 1 5.00V
>r 1 1
Requested 1 : 5.00V 3.00A
>
*** [1] selected cap #1
r 1 2
Request failed: wrong index param '2' specified.
>r 1 1
>
*** [1] selected cap #1
r 2 1
Error: invalid parameter port '2 1'
>r 1 2
>r 1 3
Request failed: wrong index param '3' specified.
>r 1 1

Does this piece:

>r 1 2

means that it does not support the second profile? Looking forward to your answer.