cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEVAL-IDP004V1 (master-board) either not communicating to PC through RS485 or not detecting a sensor out of the box

Pmond
Associate II

Hi,

We have recently purchased the STEVAL-BFA001V1B kit and planned to connect the STEVAL-IDP004V1 to the STEVAL-IDP005V1 as we planned to use the STEVAL-IDP004V1 GUI interface to allow for streaming off data from the sensor.

The manuals we have used are:

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/sales_and_marketing/presentation/product_presentation/group0/47/a2/91/a0/fe/ca/42/89/steval-bfa001v1b_getting_started_guide/files/steval-bfa001v1b_quick_start_guide.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.steval-bfa001v1b_quick_start_guide.pdf

https://www.avnet.com/opasdata/d120001/medias/docus/190/STEVAL-BFA001V1B%20User%20Manual.pdf

They make reference to updating the firmware of the STEVAL-IDP005V1 through dragging across "STEVAL-IDP005_ConditionMonitoring_IOL_v1.1.0.bin." The GUI after doing this results in the following error:

"[>> TX] START

[ERR] Command ERROR (TRASMISSION FAIL) - RECEIVED DATA

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[ERR] Communication with STEVAL-IDP004V1 BOARD failed.

Please reset the BOARD and the GUI and retry."

The 2nd manual refers to disconnect the assembly that we tried with no hope of any differences.

The STEVAL-IDP004V1 itself has 4 green flashes lights for each sensor (sensor 1, sensor 2 and so fourth) that has not changed implying that the sensor (STEVAL-IDP005V1) is not detected as a sensor.

Additionally, we are unable to determine whether there is any communication between the STEVAL-IDP004V1 and the PC.

We have uploaded another project (Condition_Monitoring_SRV) through the System Workbench by running/debugging and then connected through putty which following a reset of the STEVAL-IDP005V1 means data is streamed from the sensor.

After changing the baud rate to 38400, GUI application works to some extend but fails on sensor command.

I am following the user manual but the baud rate mentioned in it is completely different.!!!

[>> TX] START

[<< RX] *********************************

* STMicroelectronics *

* IO - Link MULTI-PORT SOLUTION *

SELECT MASTER OR DEVICE

[>> TX] MASTER

[<< RX]

INSERT ADDRESS IC

[>> TX] 0

[<< RX]

INSERT OPERATING MODE

[>> TX] WR_S

[<< RX]

INSERT REGISTER VALUE

[>> TX] 096,248,033,122,122,122,122,

[<< RX]

PROGRAMMING DONE

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[<< RX]

SELECT MASTER OR DEVICE

[>> TX] DEVICE

[<< RX]

INSERT SLAVE NODE

[>> TX] 0

[<< RX]

INSERT SENSOR COMMAND

[>> TX] IDS

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[ERR] Command ERROR (TRASMISSION FAIL) - RECEIVED DATA I=I5R?

[ERR] IDS COMMAND FAIL - NODE 0 - ATTEMPT 1

[ERR] Communication with STEVAL-IDP004V1 BOARD failed.

Please reset the BOARD and the GUI and retry.

12 REPLIES 12
ASaee.1
Associate II

Hello!

It seems the issue still remains unresolved as I am unable to communicate with my board as well!

I managed to program it using the onboard programmer on the nucleo-F070RB with the file STEVAL-IDP004V1_RS485.hex.

The programming was successful however the 4 LED's in a column sensor 1-4 turned off and only flash when the board is reset.

I receive the same errors

[>> TX] START

[*ERR*] Command ERROR (TRASMISSION FAIL) - RECEIVED DATA

[>> TX] COMMAND END

[*ERR*] Command ERROR (TRASMISSION FAIL) - RECEIVED DATA

[*ERR*] Communication with STEVAL-IDP004V1 BOARD failed.

Please reset the BOARD and the GUI and retry.

The USB-RS485 cable used is

https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Converter-Adapter-Supports-Windows/dp/B076WVFXN8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I connected the DB-9 connector directly to the RS485 port.

If there is a different cable which should be used then it would be really helpful to get its link.

I also tried to flash the USB hex program and connected with the USB port however the PC fails to recognize the device as there is no driver.

If there is a suitable driver then please share that as well.

Thank you.

Ashar.

ASaee.1
Associate II

Hello everyone!

Finally I was able to successfully get the data on the STEVAL-IDP005V1 GUI.

And for me it worked through serendipity!

0690X00000DAZVuQAP.png

Graphs and other readings are being displayed..

It seems the STEVAL-IDP004V1 board needs both the ST Link AND the RS485 to be connected simultaneously to be able to make the connection.

I left the programmer link connected unintentionally and then attempted to connect via the USB serial and it successfully connected.

Disconnecting either of the two causes the connectivity to break

0690X00000DAZXWQA5.jpg

The blue cable is the USB-RS485 cable connected to the IDP004V1 on its RS485 port.

The Programmer link is connected via the ST-Link port on the IDP004V1 and the UK1001V1 interface board supplied with the STEVAL-BFA001V1B kit.

Both are separate Com ports.

The IDP004V1 IOLink board is programmed with the STEVAL-IDP004V1_RS485.hex using the Nucleo Programmer and the UK1001V1 board. A 20pin flat cable is used to link the two IDC type male headers.

So whats confusing is that all the manuals say that after programming, the programmer should be disconnected. However if it is not connected then the GUI fails to connect to the IO link board.

Once I connect via the USB Serial with programmer connected in parallel, removal of the programmer link causes failure of communication.

I am quite sure that the data is flowing through the USB-RS485 link because it is the one showing TX/RX activity through the indicator LEDs and the com port selected in the STEVAL GUI also corresponds to it.

So whats going on?

And would we be able to connect this board with the XLinux PRDMNT on the discovery kit using the STEVAL-IDP004V1_RS485_PMP.hex file if it requires the programmer link as well!

Thank you.

ASaee.1
Associate II

Does anyone from ST knows that why does the STEVAL-IDP004V1 board needs BOTH the programmer link & the RS485 connection simultaneously to be able to work properly?

Is it possible that the software binaries available were not updated with the removal this bug?

Thanks.