cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know if a usb cable is any good?

MOrte.1
Associate

I'm using a Nucleo-L412KB for a project at work, but I can't program it because my computer won't recognize my device. I have Utility, Programmer, Link-009 and 007 downloaded, but it won't work. I've tried different boards (I have multiples), and many different usb cables, how can I tell if my cable is going to be a good one?

1 REPLY 1

They usually don't have anything helpful printed or marked on them to help identify good from bad. Best you try them with good known functional HW, like your phone perhaps? If the phone doesn't show up in Device Manager, probably not a good cable. Similarly if you connect to USB-to-Serial dongle device with Micro-USB

Charger cables tend to be no good because they often just provide the power connections, and not the data connections. Micro-USB ones particularly as they are used as phone charging cables.

Problems are also likely to occur with Hubs and Docking Stations, and especially with DELL machines. Or corporate desktops/laptops where policies preclude attaching USB mass-storage devices for security or protection purposes.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..