cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQ: How to configure the STUSB47 on a custom board ?

Gregory Go.
Senior II

The STUSB47 GUI (STSW-STUSB001) is an easy tool to configure quickly the STUSB47 evaluation board.

But if you don't use the ST Evaluation board, and you want instead to configure the STUSB47 on a custom board, the tool will not work because it is using the micro-USB connector located on the STUSB47 eval board ( and not the USB connector located on the Nucleo board).

You can still use the STM32-Nucleo-Board and the GUI to configure easily any STUSB47 device, as long as you have access to the I2C interface of the chip (see picture below).

For this purpose, you'll need a specific version of STM32 firmware and the GUI (the uart version), to be able to connect using the default USB connector (CN1) of the Nucleo board, and the Virtual COM port (VCP) interface.

The software is in attachment.

- STUSB47 GUI with VCP (uart)

Best Regards.

0690X00000AA9c9QAD.png

3 REPLIES 3
JHuns
Associate

This did not work for me initially on the Nucleo F072RB.

I am including the steps I took to make it work for me. Maybe it will help someone else.

First, I had to remove the .TXT files from the virtual mass storage device before it would allow the binary to be copied. Otherwise, it gave me an error saying it needed additional memory (32k). Even after this, the program failed the HwCheckUtility.exe test. The new COM port was detected, but failed to respond properly. Also the green LED did not blink.

I tried copying it over again, cycling power, and inserting the STLINK jumpers. None of this helped.

I then copied the HID version of the binary and ran the HwCheckUtility program again. This time, it did not detect the virtual com port.

I copied the uart version over again, and this time the green LED started blinking and the HwCheckUtility detected the hardware. I was finally able to reconfigure my target board.

Thank you for posting this utility.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on using the tool.

I don't know why the flashing of STM32 didn't work at first.

But indeed, if the LED was not blinking, it means the right binary was not properly flashed into the STM32.

Workaround:

If the programming of STM32 doesn't work by doing a copy-paste of the .bin file,

you can always use the standard STM32-Programmer tool to flash any STM32.

STM32CubeProgrammer available here:

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeprog.html

0690X00000AADvqQAH.png

Regards,

Gregory

SSalm.1
Associate II

Hello,

I know this is an older post but I am trying to program a custom board using the UART code and a Nucleo-F072RB board and having problem connecting to the board. I went through the process multiple time and flashed the NUCLEO board multiple times. Flashing seems to be working correct (used the copy-paste method as well as STM32 cube programmer). The problem I have is that the LED2 does not blink on the board and when I try to open the GUI it errors with this message: "The target Hardware is not connected".

I am able to use the Micro USB connector on the STUSB4700 evaluation board and open the GUI that way.

I appreciate it if you can let me know what I am doing wrong here and how I can fix this issue.