cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug report: AN4494 BlueNRG Bringup Appnote

BarryWhit
Senior III

As noted here, AN4494 contains a figure which captures the prescribed test procedure as it appears on the SPI bus.

The annotations in the figure (specifically, step 6) do not correspond to the test procedure, which also includes a 6-byte read in step 7.

BlueNRG2.jpg

BlueNRG.jpg

cc @Laurent LOUAZON 

- If someone's post helped resolve your issue, please thank them by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Please post an update with details once you've solved your issue. Your experience may help others.
3 REPLIES 3
BarryWhit
Senior III

@Lina_DABASINSKAITE , is it possible to add some labels to this subforum? the existing ones are quite limiting and do not apply in many cases. Specifically "Documentation" and "Bug-Report" would be nice, perhaps also something more generic than just "BLE Mesh", such as "Bluetooth" or "BlueNRG".

Thanks in advance.

- If someone's post helped resolve your issue, please thank them by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Please post an update with details once you've solved your issue. Your experience may help others.
BarryWhit
Senior III

@STTwo-32 ,

Since one customer stumbled here (*), I'd like to suggest to ST that you should add a footnote (or an actual step) to the "test procedure" section in AN4494, reminding the user to consult the SPI timing requirements portion of the relevant datasheet, possibly with an explicit exhortation to consider timing for the CS signal (the duration of the CS delay required is surprisingly long at 10 clock cycles).

Though the datasheet does document the timing requirements, it makes good business sense to treat the  issues customer raise as a form of feedback about documentation, even (and perhaps especially) when their problem is a result of overlooking something that *is* properly documented somewhere else.

Since AN4494 is designated as THE bring-up document for a entire line of ST products (BlueRNG is now in its 4th gen, I think?), this appnote should be considered as a "funnel" through which most BlueRNG customers are likely to pass through. So, it makes particular sense to optimize this particular section against common problems, as it's likely to have outsize impact.

Hi @BarryWhit !

Sorry to getting back to you later, as I was out of office for a little bit. 

Thanks for suggesting this label edition. I will review this proposal and update on the next steps. 

Greetings,
Lina

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.