cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What sensor or combination of sensors would provide the best accuracy in a range of 1mm - 1100mm?

GPoly.1
Associate II

I have read the data sheets for the VL53L0X, VL53L4CD and VL53L1CX ToF senors. I am unsure which one would be the most accurate as the datasheets present the accuracy data at different conditions.

Ideally the sensor would be accurate over 1mm - 1100mm, but for my purposes shorter range accuracy would be on a higher priority.

I have not used ToF sensors before, so I hope I am asking the right questions to better understand this technology.

10 REPLIES 10
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The accuracy of the sensor depends quite a bit on the integration time. We need time to gather enough photon strikes to get a statistically large sample. Acutally the photons are fast enough but we have to re-charge the SPAD element after each strike.

So a reaonably accurate reading takes 20ms. A better one would use 30ms. But if you are moving rapidly this would be a problem.

This is a sligthly different problem then if the object was moving an the sensor was stationary. In this case, the answer you get would have been exactly right at some point durning the collect. But not at the very begining or end of the integration time.

And of course lateral motion has it own set of issues.

All of this becomes clear when you get the evaluation kit and play with it.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.