cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL6180, very high range error

Jan Wustrau
Associate II

Welcome,

I'm trying to use VL6180 sensor, but range results are unstable. They can vary about +-10 mm between readings.

I'm using official C api. ECE, Filter and RangeIgnore are disabled. Upscale set to 1. Power supply 2,8V from linear regulator.

I tried to manipulate with convergence and readout times, i closed sensor in black box with white solid object inside (50 mm distance) - but everything without progress.

If this helps, "InitData() -> _DMax_InitData() reads 0 from 2A register. This gives me a calibration warning. Disabling HAVE_DMAX in Api config file doesn't help.

Can someone explain me where is problem?

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I'm going to guess your black is not as black as you think it is. At these frequencies of light you might be seeing more than that white object. And that is leading to the error. Granted it's a guess, but it's all I have.

The calibration waring just means you have not done the calibration. if you don't have a coverglass it shouldn't matter.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.