cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vl53l8cx with SPI interface start ranging fails

lukestroh
Associate II

To begin, I am using the vl53l8cx breakout board from Pololu with a Nucleo-F446RE and PlatformIO. I have been having trouble getting the VL53L8CX to start ranging using the SPI2 interface. I get successful responses from the `_is_alive()` and `_init()` methods, but find that I get an error status of 1 from the call to `vl53l8cx_dci_read_data()` within the `_start_ranging()` method. Subsequently, a few lines down, `_start_ranging()` errors out with VL53L8CX_STATUS_ERROR.

I tried following @RJRP 's solution here, but it didn't solve my problem.

I have jumper wires from the Nucleo-F446RE to a breadboard. The wires are possibly too long, ~12cm in length.

For clarity, the lines in question:

/* Read ui range data content and compare if data size is the correct one */

// This gives status = 1
status |= vl53l8cx_dci_read_data(p_dev, (uint8_t*)p_dev->temp_buffer, 0x5440, 12);

// This gives status = 255
(void)memcpy(&tmp, &(p_dev->temp_buffer[0x8]), sizeof(tmp));
if(tmp != p_dev->data_read_size)
{
status |= VL53L8CX_STATUS_ERROR;
}

I have enabled most of the macros in `platform.h` to reduce the size of the information (I left NB_TARGET_DETECTED, DISTANCE_MM, and TARGET_STATUS as active). My SPI baud rate is 1.3125 Mb/s, and I have properly configured CPOL = 1 and CPHA = 1. For further information/configuration setup, here is the link to my project repository: https://github.com/lukestroh/nucleo-f446re-vl53l8cx-spi-platformio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I had one customer claim that his power supply was a touch marginal. When the sensor started, it drew more power and things went south. 

Perhaps you could put a scope on the power input and see if it drops about the time you start the sensor. 

That might explain how you can communicate just fine - until you issue the start command. 

On that Pololu board, you might also just put a scope on the 3v3out pin and see what you get. 

Unfortunately, this is just a guess. But I think it's worth a test.

- john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Two things to try... Shorten your SPI wires and try a different speed. 

The init is a large write, and there are firmware handshakes. I find it odd that you got through so much only to fail. You must be pretty close. 

I'm betting a shorter wire will do it. 

After that we can try better wires, twisted pair and some other techniques to get your length back.

- john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I had one customer claim that his power supply was a touch marginal. When the sensor started, it drew more power and things went south. 

Perhaps you could put a scope on the power input and see if it drops about the time you start the sensor. 

That might explain how you can communicate just fine - until you issue the start command. 

On that Pololu board, you might also just put a scope on the 3v3out pin and see what you get. 

Unfortunately, this is just a guess. But I think it's worth a test.

- john

Thanks @John E KVAM, I scoped the 3.3V output and you're right, it was pulling down. I fixed the power supply and everything is working, I appreciate the insights.