cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L4CX outdoor performance

DM.16
Associate

Hi,

I'm trying to use VL53L4CX sensor outdoor as people passing counter. Is there any way to extend outdoor range of the sensor or tune detection parameters? Currently i'm getting around 50-60cm in overcast conditions.

Damjan

2 REPLIES 2
Zhiyuan.Han
ST Employee

Hi Damjan

As sun light contain 940nm IR light, which means noise to VL53L4CX sensor, suggest you changing distance mode to short and increase Timing budget. it will help increase maximum detection distance a bit, but will not much.

Br

Zhiyuan.Han

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
John E KVAM
ST Employee

If you can afford it the VL53L8CX has almost 3x the optical power of the L4CX. It's better in outdoor lighting.

There is a spec in the L8 datasheet stating it can range to 1.6m in pretty bright light. (I forget the LUX number they used.)

the L8 is also interesting because it is a multi-zone sensor. With it, you can see left/right or up/down motion as someene goes past. It's an easier sensor to turn into people passing sensor. You can tell in which direction they are passing.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'