cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L4CD resolution? Also, does anyone know where I can find a register map for this part that defines the meaning of the values?

DKarn.14
Associate II

5 REPLIES 5
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The resolution is in mm. However the accuracy is not as good as that. Looking at a wide range of reflectivities, you can get about +/- 3%. If you only have 1 known object (say a piston that moves up and down) you can get maybe +/- 1%. (And at the very short distances, +/- a few mm is the best you can do.)

It's in the data sheet.

The sensor is software programmed. So those 'registers' are more software parameters descised as registers. They are not published as there are hundreds and hundreds of them.

We made the software as easy and straight forward as we could to discourage the use of the register interface. I suppose one could do it that way, but it took us years and you don't have that much time.

If we missed something, enter a support request and perhaps we can do it for you.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
DKarn.14
Associate II

Hi John,

I appreciate your response. I am interested in maximizing accuracy in the range of 0-40mm. Do you have any ideas as to how I can accomplish this?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Time of Flight - It’s a whole new way of seeing things.

The best way to increase accuracy is to get the sensor more time to average the incoming data. A good rule of thumb is that quadrupling the TimingBudget doubles the accuracy.

But if you are only interested in one specific target and only want those distances, I can give you a modification of the code. But I won't publish it, as it will destroy the performance specified by our data sheet for all the other distances.

If interested, write me separately - john.kvam@st.com

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
Hi John,

Thanks again for your timely responses. I may have overstated our range. I would say we’re really only interested in 0-30mm. I would be interested in the modified code set. Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
J. Drew Karnes | President

316 Wildflower Drive
Galion, Ohio 44833
T 419.571.9910
bit-metrics.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication, including attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.
This e-mail address is not going to work. It's still public on ST.com.
Do you have a work address?
This comes with a huge caveat - you are on your own here. The only way we meet the accuracy listed in our datasheet is with the default settings.
Once you start playing with this you will get better accuracy - but only at the lower distances. It will completely destroy the accuracy at the other distances.
And it's going to take a lot of testing on your part.
What we are doing is reducing the power of the laser.
And by cutting that down, you eliminate a lot of the bouncing of light that occurs.
But send me a message from some other account.
* john
Time of Flight Sensors -
Announcing VL53L5 - Simultaneous Multi-Zones, 45oX45o Field of View
John KVAM | Tel: (408) 919-8502 | Mobile: (650) 521-2084
STMicroelectronics | 2755 Great America Way, 3rd Floor | Santa Clara, CA 95054
Time of Flight - It's a whole new way of seeing things.
ST Restricted