cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X orientation and ROI

SBann.1
Associate II

Dear,

I want to implement a people counting algoritme using the VL53L1X ToF sensor. I want to build my own PCB for it. I found out that when the sensor is rotated by 90 degrees (gold filters in a row), the edges of a door are measured better then when I mount it straight (gold filters side by side). I'm using a ROI of 8x16.

Is there any explanation for that, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Stijn

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I've seen an issue like this, but only with a coverglass. If the coverglass is not exactly parallel with the sensor, you can get some issues wiht symmetry.

But the light goes out in a symmetric cone, and unless you have a tilted coverglass you should get the same answers.

(I'm assuming when you rotated the sensor you switched from an 8x16 to a 16x8.)

Try the same experiment without the coverglass. Or use the crosstalk free glass that was included with the Eval kit. Does that work better?

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'