cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53l0x I cannot measure more than 400mm

Yusuf1
Associate

Dear Sir,

I am trying to read the distance from the VL53Lox i can read upto 400mm , when i try to measure more the 400mm it is not reading proper reading. Please guide

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I'm going to guess here a little bit. The sensor emits an invisible flash of light, and it measures the time-of-flight until that light comes back. But if your target is small or particularly non-reflective, not enough light comes back to get a good measurement. One can generally spot people to 1.5m and can spot a hand to 60-80 cm. 

If you think something is wrong, measure the distance one can 'see' to a large white wall. That should be to 2M. A non-white wall should go to 1.5M or a bit more. 

Try a standard sheet of paper - it's a good known reference as white paper is about  88% reflective and it's of a known size. 

From that sort of data, we can tell if your sensor meets expectations.

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello

Can you please give more details on the platform you are using in term of HW and SW ?

Thanks

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I'm going to guess here a little bit. The sensor emits an invisible flash of light, and it measures the time-of-flight until that light comes back. But if your target is small or particularly non-reflective, not enough light comes back to get a good measurement. One can generally spot people to 1.5m and can spot a hand to 60-80 cm. 

If you think something is wrong, measure the distance one can 'see' to a large white wall. That should be to 2M. A non-white wall should go to 1.5M or a bit more. 

Try a standard sheet of paper - it's a good known reference as white paper is about  88% reflective and it's of a known size. 

From that sort of data, we can tell if your sensor meets expectations.

- john