cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VD56G3 MANUAL_COARSE_EXPOSURE Register Clarification

astral256
Associate II

I have the STEVAL-56G3MAI1 evaluation kit for the VD56G3 image sensor and the STEVAL-EVK-U0I1 to connect and take snapshots from the sensor.  I have been looking into script generation and register setting and I would like to set the exposure time to be a known duration in microseconds.  I referenced UM2602 titled "How to integrate and configure the VD56G3, VD66GY, and VD16GZ devices from a hardware and software perspective", which contains all the register configuration information for this sensor.  Section 14.7.2 of UM2602 is for configuring the manual exposure and it talks about a register called "MANUAL_COARSE_EXPOSURE".  The description of the "MANUAL_COARSE_EXPOSURE" register is "Integration time is controlled by the MANUAL_COARSE_EXPOSURE register. The value is expressed in line equivalent".  The manual also states that the value is a 16-bit unsigned integer.

However, there is no information in the manual for how to configure this value to set the manual exposure in duration in microseconds.  There is a slight reference in section 14.7.5 that setting the register to 21 is equivalent to 161 us, but no additional information for how that was acquired.  Can I assume that each bit in MANUAL_COARSE_EXPOSURE corresponds to 7.66 us, and that for an exposure duration of 500 us I would set the register to 65?  What does it mean when it says that the register value is "expressed in line equivalent"?  Are there additional resources I can look into to clarify any of these questions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MeganeG
ST Employee

Hello,

Yes, indeed. The MANUAL_COARSE_EXPOSURE, expressed in lines, can be converted to microseconds by dividing it by the Line time value used (default is 7.69 µs for a 10-bit ADC mode).

You can also verify the value, expressed in milliseconds, using the PC evaluation software (STSW-IMG501) in the Status panel under ExposureTime.

Thank you, Megane.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
astral256
Associate II

I think I figured out what it means by line equivalent.  You can set the "Line Time" with the "LINE_LENGTH" register in section 13.2 of UM2602.  The default and recommended value for the Line Time is 7.69 us, which corresponds to the extrapolated "line equivalent" calculations I performed from the data in section 14.7.5.

So it is my understanding that every bit placed in the MANUAL_COARSE_EXPOSURE register increases exposure duration by a factor of the Line Time, which can be calculated from the LINE_LENGTH register and overall pixel clock.

MeganeG
ST Employee

Hello,

Yes, indeed. The MANUAL_COARSE_EXPOSURE, expressed in lines, can be converted to microseconds by dividing it by the Line time value used (default is 7.69 µs for a 10-bit ADC mode).

You can also verify the value, expressed in milliseconds, using the PC evaluation software (STSW-IMG501) in the Status panel under ExposureTime.

Thank you, Megane.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'