cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with the new VL53L1X

MarceloSouza
Associate

In my product I use the VL53L1X sensor for more than 2 years. But the last 50 sensors I bought had a problem. The measurement is too incorrect and the peak_signal_count_rate_MCPS and ambient_count_rate_MCPS parameters are too low. I purchased sensors from two different vendors and both had the same problem. 

The image below shows my test device. The first two lines of the display show data from the new sensor with a problem. And the last two lines show data from a sensor that is working correctly, used as a reference.

test.jpg

My doubts are:

Have there been any firmware updates recently?
As I import this component, could the customs X-ray have damaged the sensor?
Is there anything else I can check to try to resolve the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I'd start by removing that coverglass and seeing if the probem magically goes away. My guess is that it will.

I had a cellphone vendor who built his first 100 units - and left the protective bit of tape on the part. 

The reason for the signal fail is that not enough photons are being returned to get an answer. Therefore, my guess is that the cover is somehow blocking the light. 

Removing the coverglass should fix the issue. Then you have to figure out what the glass is doing something wrong. I suppose it could be dirty - or scratched.

I had a problem like this before. It was someone cleaning the optical element with a Brillo pad. Massive scrathes killed the system. 

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello,
For such product, the FW is embedded in a ROM. No update has been done recently.
Did you change anything in your setup ? Cover- glass for example ?
Did you try to use the same setup (cover-glass included) by changing just the sensor ?

It seems that you are not using a ST official board meaning board sent by ST (VL53L1X-SATEL). Can you confirm ?

Regards

Anne

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I'd start by removing that coverglass and seeing if the probem magically goes away. My guess is that it will.

I had a cellphone vendor who built his first 100 units - and left the protective bit of tape on the part. 

The reason for the signal fail is that not enough photons are being returned to get an answer. Therefore, my guess is that the cover is somehow blocking the light. 

Removing the coverglass should fix the issue. Then you have to figure out what the glass is doing something wrong. I suppose it could be dirty - or scratched.

I had a problem like this before. It was someone cleaning the optical element with a Brillo pad. Massive scrathes killed the system. 

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.