cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Industry standards to which the VL53L5CX was designed

MYufe.1
Associate II

Hi Team​

I want to know the Industry standards to which the VL53L5CX was designed. ​If you have relevant information, can you share it with me? It is important for me. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

That is the hardest question to answer.

The first intended use case was a cell phone. Two missions: Auto focus assist in the dark. And cheek detect. Cheek detect is used to disable the screen and hangup button when the phone is raised to the cheek.

And to that end we needed reliability and we needed to survive a lot of drops and abuse.

A secondary use case is in a laptop. The sensor can detect when you have gone away and when you have come back. The PC can begin the start up procedure without using a camera or even the sensor hub MCU.

This required a good bit of longevity as the device was expected to range once or twice a second continuously for a good number of years.

And third was all the unknows. Assumed to be in robots for room mapping and wall following. Expectation was that it would range flat out for 8+ hours a day. And of course would be expected to banged around a fair bit. And it would be expected to last longer than a cellphone or laptop.

I don't think there is a industry standard for this.

There is a lot of JDEC testing standards we put this thing through with drop and vibration tests, high voltage tests and over current tests. (Some of them all at once.)

We put Several hundred sensors through several thousands of hours of abusive testing. All without a failure.

(With a failure or two one can calculate a Failure in Time metric, but without any failures the number is absurdly large. )

I if you really, really need more data, you are going to have to go though your distributor and get an NDA signed. After that you can get our Sales department to provide you with more information.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'