cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to distinguish VL53L1CB (aka VL53L1) from VL53L1CX (aka VL53L1X)?

MFabb.1
Associate II

Is not clear how to identify (via SW reading on I2C) the version of these two PNs.

From the datasheet seems that the Model ID and the Model Type are the same for both ICs.

0693W00000BcpHDQAZ.png0693W00000BcpHXQAZ.pngThe Mask Revision could be the distinctive element but unfortunately it not reported in the VL53L1 datasheet and cannot be compared with the VL53L1X value.

This is a key element to know in order to switch from VL53L1CX to VL53L1CB in a product already at production stage.

Thank you for your support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The chips are the same.

The VL53L3CB is just guarenteed to run the more demanding histogram code.

We did not go back and change any of the registers.

You can run the L1X code on the L1CB - and that will work, but the reverse is not guarenteed. Some L1Xs will run the histogram code, but it's not guarenteed.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The chips are the same.

The VL53L3CB is just guarenteed to run the more demanding histogram code.

We did not go back and change any of the registers.

You can run the L1X code on the L1CB - and that will work, but the reverse is not guarenteed. Some L1Xs will run the histogram code, but it's not guarenteed.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
MFabb.1
Associate II

Hi John,

Thank you for the information.

As far as I understand the L1CB runs an improved version of the fw (histogram, multi-target, ...) compared to the L1X. Is it correct?

If the chips are the same and only their internal fw is different, how to identify one from the other from the host sw side?

Currently, I am using the L1X and the host sw probes it via I2C using the Model ID and Model Type as a reference.

To correctly switch to L1CB on my hardware I would need a probing function for this specific PN (different from the current L1X).

After this detection phase, the host sw will run the corrisponding code: L1X for the L1X PNs and L1CB code for the L1CB PNs).

How to implement this probing function?