cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How have best accuracy at short distances: VL6180 or VL6180X?

DMårt
Senior II

Hi!

I notice that in the datasheet of both VL6180 and VL6180X, there is EXACTLY the same plot of distance measurement. So that's leaving me to the question: Who is best for short distances, VL6180 or VL6180X?

Have a look at page 12/87 here:

Proximity and ambient light sensing (ALS) module (st.com)

And have a look at page 32/73 here:

VL6180-Datasheet.book (st.com)

Both same plot. Why?

I assume that VL6180X is better for short distances, but I can be wrong too?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

They have the same plot because THEY ARE THE SAME PART - at least inside.

Please let me explain...

The VL6180X was custom built for the cell-phone industry. And they wanted a combo chip that did Time of Flight ranging and an Ambient Light Sensor.

But when we released the part to the open market lots of our customers wanted ranging, but had no use for the ALS.

Turns our the ALS is kind of expensive to calibrate, and there is a rather hard-to-source optical filter.

To meet the requirements of our new customers, we

1. Plugged the ALS hole - if you look carefully you can even see the part-line where the hole used to be.
  2. Removed the optical filter,
  3. Stopped calibrating the ALS.
  4. Changed the name to the VL6180V1
  5. Lowered the cost as the part is now easier to produce.

But we left the silicon exactly the same and changed absolutely nothing else.

In fact you are free to enable the ALS on the VL6180V1 as the silicon is still in there - but don't expect it to do much except use a little power.

So to answer your question - Same part, same plot.

And no, you are not wrong.

Nice job reading the datasheets in such detail. Not everyone does that.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

They have the same plot because THEY ARE THE SAME PART - at least inside.

Please let me explain...

The VL6180X was custom built for the cell-phone industry. And they wanted a combo chip that did Time of Flight ranging and an Ambient Light Sensor.

But when we released the part to the open market lots of our customers wanted ranging, but had no use for the ALS.

Turns our the ALS is kind of expensive to calibrate, and there is a rather hard-to-source optical filter.

To meet the requirements of our new customers, we

1. Plugged the ALS hole - if you look carefully you can even see the part-line where the hole used to be.
  2. Removed the optical filter,
  3. Stopped calibrating the ALS.
  4. Changed the name to the VL6180V1
  5. Lowered the cost as the part is now easier to produce.

But we left the silicon exactly the same and changed absolutely nothing else.

In fact you are free to enable the ALS on the VL6180V1 as the silicon is still in there - but don't expect it to do much except use a little power.

So to answer your question - Same part, same plot.

And no, you are not wrong.

Nice job reading the datasheets in such detail. Not everyone does that.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Thank you!

Then it does not matter if I select VL6180X or VL6180 if I'm doing ranging.

By the way! VL6180 should have better laser diode because I find it useful to have a smal angle of light instead of 15 degrees. Just like a normal laser pointer.

Then VL6180 will be very useful for the industri.

I'm going to use a VL6180X or VL6180 for measureing distances for production industri.