cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi we are currently using the VL530X in our unit and wanted to try out the VL53L1. I replaced one of the VL530X ToF sensors with the VL53L1. My question is will my software test for range detection still work if I updated the sensor?

DTors.1
Associate

Will I need to use a different version of the software to use the VL53L1 as compared to the VL53L1. Right now I am using the same script that was used for the VL530X.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Electrically the two parts are identical. So that's not a problem.

Physically the L1 is 1.6mm tall instead of the L0's 1.0 mm tall, so the coverglass 'air gap' might be an issue.

Software wise - I'd suggest using the:

STSW-IMG009

VL53L1X ULD API (Ultra Lite Driver Application Programming Interface)

There is pretty much a one-to-one correspondence between the calls you made with the L0 and the ones you need to make with the L1, so although you have to change some code, it should be simple.

The I2C interface is the same, so the hard part is already done.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Electrically the two parts are identical. So that's not a problem.

Physically the L1 is 1.6mm tall instead of the L0's 1.0 mm tall, so the coverglass 'air gap' might be an issue.

Software wise - I'd suggest using the:

STSW-IMG009

VL53L1X ULD API (Ultra Lite Driver Application Programming Interface)

There is pretty much a one-to-one correspondence between the calls you made with the L0 and the ones you need to make with the L1, so although you have to change some code, it should be simple.

The I2C interface is the same, so the hard part is already done.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'