cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if the VL53L8CX SATEL can be used with an Arduino board (just for testing)? Or ESP32? I've tried the basic wiring I have done for other breakouts, but it doesn't work.

MCham.8
Associate

If so, please share how it should be wired. Also, I have used very similar code on 1CB, 1CX, and the 4CX. Anyone know if that would work for the L8?

3 REPLIES 3
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The VL53L5, L7 and L8 are multi-zone sensors. Instead of getting 1 distance per range, you get 64 of them. And if you want signal strengths, multiple targets per zone and other information you can get some like 6000 bytes of return data every 15th of a second. It's a lot.

And it does download the firmware into the sensor at startup. That's some 83Kbytes.

This is getting pretty large for a little processor.

But it can be done.

you need to have the I2C select pin grounded, and the LPn pin raised. You need power and I2C. Interrupt is helpful - but not required.

The easy way is to wait. Sparkfun is soon to release just what you want.

This sensor works the same way is all our other VL53 products. It's your job to complete the platform.c for your processor. This file is the interface to the MCU's I2C. As delivered it's empty. But if you've already done the L1 or L4, it should be easy to adapt.

So providing your MCU is big enough, it will work.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

And what about his SPI interface ?

thx

Equally confused about this. There seems to be plenty of configuration support for the I2C interface, but I have yet to find anything that supports the SPI interface.