cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with open load detection in PLAY mode.

Aishwaryaum
Associate II

Hi all,

I am facing issue with Open Load detection in PLAY mode and it is working fine in MUTE mode.

I have flashed and tested  the example base code from STM(Autodevkit), Open Load Detection is not working in PLAY mode in this code(Placed the example code snippet below).

Aishwaryaum_0-1719898606566.png

Aishwaryaum_2-1719899332719.png

In MUTE mode, If either or both speakers are disconnected the signal is updating with value FAULT_OPEN_LOAD_MUTE as shown below-

Aishwaryaum_1-1719899285361.png

In PLAY mode, If speakers connected or disconnected also both both conditions the value of signal is updated with "NO_FAULT_PLAY" as shown below-

Aishwaryaum_3-1719899723382.png

The structure member "OPENLOAD_PLAY" of structure "FDA_Errors_t" which is getting value from the registers is itself not updating during PLAY mode.

Aishwaryaum_0-1719898209413.png

Can anyone help me to come out of this issue.

Thanks,

Aishwarya UM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ATROI
ST Employee

Hi Aishwarya UM

The FDA903D audio amplifier provides the ability to detect the open load even in play.
If the audio signal is judged to be good enough to provide a reliable result, the test result is valid. Otherwise, if the audio signal doesn't allow a reliable detection.
See paragraph (11.4) of the data sheet.
In addition, in the AVAS UM, in paragraph 7.1, step 12,
in the image it is emphasized that the "volume" variable in the demo code must be increased
to overcome the threshold under which the open Load in play detection test is not valid.

Hope this can help.

Thanks,

AutoDevKit Team

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ATROI
ST Employee

Hi Aishwarya UM

The FDA903D audio amplifier provides the ability to detect the open load even in play.
If the audio signal is judged to be good enough to provide a reliable result, the test result is valid. Otherwise, if the audio signal doesn't allow a reliable detection.
See paragraph (11.4) of the data sheet.
In addition, in the AVAS UM, in paragraph 7.1, step 12,
in the image it is emphasized that the "volume" variable in the demo code must be increased
to overcome the threshold under which the open Load in play detection test is not valid.

Hope this can help.

Thanks,

AutoDevKit Team

Hi Atroi,

Thank you for your valuable information.

Even though I am using good quality sound files and even I am trying with different sound files and I have gone thorough your references also and I tried in the same ways but still the open load is not detected during the PLAY mode. So, can I get further more suggestions from your regarding this issue so that I can come out of this.

Thanks & Regards

Aishwarya UM

Hi,

Please try changing the volume.

You should find that for certain volume levels the open load is detected while when you decrease the volume then it starts not to be detected.

It is clear that the IC will NOT detect the open in all playback condition.

If you want it to work in all condition, you need to implement a monitoring at the pin looking at the current in audio amp.

Best Regards,

AutoDevKit Team

Hi Max VIZZINI,

Thank you for your informative feedback.

Actually I kept vol = 2 as constant and I am not varying it anymore. According to my requirement sound sound increase from 0kmph to 20kmph and decrease from 20kmph to 30kmph. So for this requirement I have kept the volume constant and I am varying the gain based on the speed. For these conditions I am unable detect the openload condition for PLAY mode.

Can you please help me out to figure out this issue.

Thanks & Regards

Aishwarya UM

PREVIEW

Hi,

As said, please CHANGE the volume to understand from which level you can detect the Open in Play.

Again, the IC will NOT be able to detect all cases automatically anyway, so the coverage is partial.

For full coverage you need to implement current monitoring.

Best Regards,

AutoDevKit Team