cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-Cube-LRWAN - The Things Stack (V3) replaces The Things Network (V2)

Andrew Neil
Evangelist

What was known as "The Things Network" (TTN) is now "legacy" and not accepting any new devices, gateways, or applications.

0693W00000BczU2QAJ.png 

Thus, I think, all ST materials referencing "The Things Network" are now obsolete & unusable.

So, has anyone managed to migrate anything based on I-Cube-LRWAN to the new "Things Stack" aka "V3" ?

11 REPLIES 11
moatjon
Associate III

A lot of other material besides STM32 is obsolete as well, transition has not been seamless. I can't say much for I-Cube-LRWAN, but the STM32WLE examples/package can be made to work on the new TTN stack. The new stack does require you to enter more information about your application, including the LoRaWAN MAC version. Finding this part out can be tricky, but I found it to be V1.0.3 for the STM32WLE.

Other than this and some other extra info, the connection between your device and the TTN server should still be largely the same, so hopefully you can get your old application to work with some minor tweaks in the application. Make sure to use the verbose output in the live data view.

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is compounded by that fact that ST have up-issued the I-Cube-LRWAN pack (v2.0.0; released March 2021), so even materials relating to the "legacy" TTN are out-of-date - as nothing has been updated for the v2.0.0 release.

:pouting_face:

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @Andrew Neil​ ,

I reported your concern to I-Cube-LRWAN Experts. We will be back to you on this regard.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks.

Is that both with regard to TTN specifically, and also v2.0.0 of I-Cube-LRWAN in general ?

Hello @Andrew Neil​ ,

This is what I got as explanation & recommendation:

In the TTNv3, "Register End Device" requires to define the LoRaWAN version (as already stated by @moatjon​ :( You need to choose the v1.0.3 if your devices are based on I-CUBE-LRWAN v1.3.1, I-CUBE-LRWAN v2.0.0 or STM32CubeWL v1.0.0 deliveries.

The ST LoRAWAN stack is an integration of the Semtech stack in using these specifications:

Therefore, STM32's LoRaWAN devices are not obsolete with TTNv3. Follow this link to migrate your devices from TTNv2 to the new Database of TTNv3: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/the-things-stack/migrate-to-v3/migrate-using-console/

If this is still not enough to make your nodes work properly with TTN, please let me know.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I didn't say that the devices were obsolete - I said that all the supporting documentation, training, etc is now out-of-date & needs updating.

We still need a guide on how to configure all the TTN credentials into the se-identity.h configuration options in v2.0.0 of  I-CUBE-LRWAN.

These are different from v1.3.1 - they don't even seem to work with the "legacy" TTN V2.

@Amel NASRI​  "If this is still not enough to make your nodes work properly with TTN, please let me know"

No, I'm afraid it's not.

Specifically, these are the configuration parameters presented on TTN (V2):

0693W00000D0jxoQAB.png 

And these are the configuration parameters available in  se-identity.h:

0693W00000D0k70QAB.png 

Please provide a list giving, for each of the settings in  se-identity.h, which of the values from the TTN Console (both V2 and V3) should be used.

#define LORAWAN_DEVICE_EUI                                 
#define LORAWAN_JOIN_EUI                                   

#define LORAWAN_DEVICE_ADDRESS                             
#define LORAWAN_APP_KEY                                    
#define LORAWAN_NWK_KEY                                   
#define LORAWAN_NWK_S_KEY                                  
#define LORAWAN_APP_S_KEY                                  

The table in the file doesn't help:

********************************** WARNING ***********************************
  The secure-element implementation supports both 1.0.x and 1.1.x LoRaWAN
  versions of the specification.
  Thus it has been decided to use the 1.1.x keys and EUI name definitions.
  The below table shows the names equivalence between versions:
               +---------------------+-------------------------+
               |       1.0.x         |          1.1.x          |
               +=====================+=========================+
               | LORAWAN_DEVICE_EUI  | LORAWAN_DEVICE_EUI      |
               | LORAWAN_APP_EUI     | LORAWAN_JOIN_EUI        |
               | LORAWAN_GEN_APP_KEY | LORAWAN_APP_KEY         |
               | LORAWAN_APP_KEY     | LORAWAN_NWK_KEY         |
               | LORAWAN_NWK_S_KEY   | LORAWAN_F_NWK_S_INT_KEY |
               | LORAWAN_NWK_S_KEY   | LORAWAN_S_NWK_S_INT_KEY |
               | LORAWAN_NWK_S_KEY   | LORAWAN_NWK_S_ENC_KEY   |
               | LORAWAN_APP_S_KEY   | LORAWAN_APP_S_KEY       |

CNuge.1
Associate

Hi @Andrew Neil​  & @Amel NASRI​ ,

I am having trouble connecting to the thing stack also. I have edited the

1. #define LORAWAN_DEVICE_EUI
  2. #define LORAWAN_JOIN_EUI
  3. #define LORAWAN_DEVICE_ADDRESS
  4. #define LORAWAN_APP_KEY

I have also editied the static device eui to 1. But it hasn't helped.

A quickstart guide for the STM32CubeIDE would be helpful.

"Please provide a list giving, for each of the settings in se-identity.h, which of the values from the TTN Console (both V2 and V3) should be used"

Well, that would be for ABP (Activation By Personalization) - so instead (or additionally?) instructions for OTAA (Over-The-Air Activation) would be good.

OTAA is preferred by TTN: https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/devices/abp-vs-otaa/