cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU (NUCLEO-F446RE)

FAger.1
Associate II

Hi, I'm new to this, so bare with me 🙂

I'm following the UM2421 - getting startet guide for the P-NUCLEO-IOM01M1, and everytime I connect the USB to my PC, I get the FAIL.txt where it says: The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU. I believe that, this problem prevents me for connecting to my IO-link device?

I have tried to reinstall the ST-LINK, update the firmware on the NUCLEO-F446RE, rebooting my PC, but everytime i get the FAIL.txt saying the same thing.

I have no idea what to do, so please if someone have a solution for this problem.

15 REPLIES 15
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The NUCLEO boards come with an integrated debug interface called ST-LINK/V2-1, on newer devices also the ST-LINK/V3. Beside other cool things these ST-LINKs provide a mass storage to the operating system, e.g. under Windows the next free drive letter. While reinstalling the ST-LINK means updating/reinstalling the device driver of the operating system, updating the firmware means the software running on the target (here STM32F446RE) - but it looks like you didn't update the firmware of the built-in ST-LINK/V2-1.

But don't worry, you can do this easily. Depending on your software setup this can be performed using:

...then just Open in update mode (usually you shouldn't check the option Change type, except you know, what your are doing).

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
FAger.1
Associate II

Hi Peter

Your purposed method doesn't work either :( 0693W0000059p6DQAQ.pngThe same message (FAIL.txt) pop-up again after I have updated the firmware through the ST-Link Utility. And it also seems that the F446RE already have the newest installed firmware?

I Also get this error-message when i try to connect to the device through ST-Link Utility:

0693W0000059p8YQAQ.png 

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Please don't be confused by firmware versions:

• the ST-Link Upgrade upgrades the firmware in the ST-Link only, i.e. the debug interface, which in your case contains an STM32F103CB
  • the target microcontroller, in your case the STM32F446RE, does not require upgrades, as it already is either preprogrammed with an example software, or you are program it using your own software - let it call firmware

On your 2nd image I can see the ST-Link Utility is still set to mode Normal.

Please change the Mode via Target > Settings to Connect under Reset and try to connect again.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
FAger.1
Associate II

Could it be that I accidentally have upgraded the STM32F446RE, and that's why I get the FAIL.txt?

I also changed the settings to connect under reset , but I still can't connect to the board, and the FAIL.txt still pops up.

0693W0000059rEOQAY.png 

The LD1, turns green, when i connect through the ST-Link utility, but I still receive the Warning-message as seen on the figure. Based on the UM1724, the LD1 tells that: communication finished and successful. But there must be something wrong, since I still recieve the FAIL.txt?

Sorry for the  inconveniences :(

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Even that sounds strange indeed, maybe it's for a completely different reason and I'm sorry I missed that: the IO-Link stack is provided by our partner TEConcept, the binary of the firmware is only available there, so TEConcept is very likely protecting the firmware to avoid copying and/or modifying which would explain the message "Disable Read Out Protection and retry".

Please have a look into the UM2421, page 12, where you will find some additional information to upgrade firmware, which requires the IO-Link Control Tool from TEConcept.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

Good luck!

/Peter

FAger.1
Associate II

I tried their suggestion first, (UM2421, page 12), but that did not work either, I am still receiving the FAIL.txt and the communication between my IO-link device (TA2212 from Ifm) and the STEVAL-IOM001V1 does not work.

This cant be a isolated case, surely someone else must have had the same issue?

I am i touch with TEConcept and if I get a solution I will post it here.

Try connecting BOOT0 to VDD to make sure it is not an issue with user firmware on F4 blocking

To program a secondary target you'd need to disconnect jumpering to the internal target.

Try also removing secondary boards if they are interfering with connectivity.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

FAger.1

Did you manage to solve your problem? Because I have the same on my F401RE.

Did you manage to solve your problem?  I have the same problems in stm32wb55