cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU (NUCLEO-F446RE)

FAger.1
Associate II

Hi, I'm new to this, so bare with me 🙂

I'm following the UM2421 - getting startet guide for the P-NUCLEO-IOM01M1, and everytime I connect the USB to my PC, I get the FAIL.txt where it says: The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU. I believe that, this problem prevents me for connecting to my IO-link device?

I have tried to reinstall the ST-LINK, update the firmware on the NUCLEO-F446RE, rebooting my PC, but everytime i get the FAIL.txt saying the same thing.

I have no idea what to do, so please if someone have a solution for this problem.

16 REPLIES 16

Not really, I just change my board...

Sorry.

ADiet.2
Associate

it's an old thread, but since i just encountered the same issue and found a solution that worked in my case, i thought it would be worth sharing:

please check if you have set USB mode to usb_fs. In this case, an external power source is required. If the boards only power source is the usb st-link port, the  "The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU" shows up in my case and st-link connection could not be established. When i set the jumper back to 5V link or added an external power source, the issue was resolved.

Which board/chip ?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ADiet.2
Associate

STM32F746G-DISCO Discovery kit with STM32F746NG MCU

Mai
Associate

I also had the same problem. I solved it by changing the Power-related jumper (just below the rest button). Make sure the jumper is at pin 1 and 2 (using U5V), please check page 21 UM1724 User manual for more information.

yalcinulug
Associate

I found this guy helped me. Basicly you just holding your hand on the reset of your stm  at the same time you connected to pc and open  stm utility. After then u take back your hand chip will be still there.  Erase the chip. Its all about wrong program downlaod. Nothing more. And don't forget to change your program. Try to understand what is wrong.  
A Turkish language video. Useful info is here. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teaTvkRyUgQ

NBenn.1
Associate II

Hi, 

In my case, I had the same error with my nucleo plugged into a breadboard and removing it from the breadboard immediately resolved the problem. Maybe extra capacitance from the breadboard pins was the root cause for me. Maybe you should try isolating your system from any external circuits/elements as much as possible and try again.