cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the STM32MP157 GPU be used by the M4 kernel?

Jack li1
Associate III

I want to use the M4 kernel to display some animations and images that can be rendered on the GPU?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

The Cortex-M4 in the STM32MP1 series was intended to be mostly a powerful real time/low power coprocessor for Linux.

Display is intended to be under the Linux control (which offer a vast choice of graphical options/framework). You could still put a second 'small' display controlled by M4 using I2C, SPI or even FMC, but it is not intended for large size, high refresh rate and complex HMI.

Maybe you could think about asking Linux to do the rendering (using rpmsg/OpenAMP, see wiki), but that might need some custom development.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello,

GPU driver (provided as binary for Linux) is not provided for M4 and furthermore, GPU has no access to M4 memories.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I want to use M4 for display, and hope to have the function of DMA2D.

PatrickF
ST Employee

The Cortex-M4 in the STM32MP1 series was intended to be mostly a powerful real time/low power coprocessor for Linux.

Display is intended to be under the Linux control (which offer a vast choice of graphical options/framework). You could still put a second 'small' display controlled by M4 using I2C, SPI or even FMC, but it is not intended for large size, high refresh rate and complex HMI.

Maybe you could think about asking Linux to do the rendering (using rpmsg/OpenAMP, see wiki), but that might need some custom development.