cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F078 USB connection to Windows 10 reports there are no compatible drivers. The STM website says " Starting from Windows® 10, the STSW-STM32102 driver is no more adequate and the usage of the native inbox driver is recommended.

rfdmod
Associate

How can I resolve the issue ? I have tried it on a new installation of Windows 10 build 19041.329 and I get the same issue.

This it the website that states I should use Windows 10 drivers. https://my.st.com/content/my_st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-utilities/stsw-stm32102.license=1594053170695.product=STSW-STM32102.version=1.5.0.html

9 REPLIES 9
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

In device mode, the STM32 can appear to the host as any USB device (or function) class.

For some classes Windows 10 has in-box drivers, for some it does not.

So the question is, what is the USB class that your STM32 software implements?

Windows 10 has also a special way to designate a device as custom (a.k.a. vendor-defined) and use in-box WinUSB driver for it.

Windows software can access such devices via WinUSB API (the Windows analog of libusb).

For more details, here is the Windows drivers forum.

/* I wish I could say "welcome to the Windows drivers forum" .... but Microsoft in their alternative wisdom is reshuffling all their forums and what once used to be MSDN/MSDL/Technet. The whole world is going crazy. */

-- pa

rfdmod
Associate

Turns out a new firmware update on the STSSW-STM32102 device solved the issue.

This article is a good reference on What is new with Serial in Windows 10:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-usb-blog/what-is-new-with-serial-in-windows-10/ba-p/270855

Gooose
Associate

Can someone please do an explain like i'm five for this. I'm having the same issue. What is a native inbox driver and where do I find it?

Thanks for the help in advance.

If the device enumerates correctly as CDC ACM, in Win10 the built-in driver will handle it, no action needed from the user.

Conversely, if you slapped together some prechewed sources and Windows complains, it probably does not enumerate properly as CDC ACM. In other words, you have bug in your sources. And yes, whatever you took from ST, is now your sources, debug it as such.

JW

> What is a native inbox driver and where do I find it?

In Microsoft slang, inbox driver means it is part of Windows installation and Just Works. You don't find it, it's already there.

-- pa

Aasdf.2
Associate

You should to repair your device with good options. I'm already working on it to guide the peoples about device repairing.

RBox.1
Associate

I've just been sent some software with a .dfu extension to install to an ST32 device and likewise, apart from saying 'don't use these drivers for Windows 10', there is no explanation towards what should be used. Needless to say, it doesn't connect. Googling Windows 10 Inbox drivers is no help whatsoever and I don't if my device enumerates correctly as CDC, ACM or anything else.

@RBox.1​ Does your device enumerate as anything at all? Does the computer detect it?

If you don't know how to discover it, ask IT person in your company or co-worker to help.

--pa

AndyJT
Associate III

I eventually found that changing bDeviceClass and bDeviceSubClass in usbd_desc.c to 0x02 will let the Native Windows 10 driver see the device as a COM port. We must have been using an old example (CDC_standalone) as the latest STM32Cube FW examples already had those bytes set to 0x02.

I also had to remove and delete the old STM32 Virtual COM Port Driver from Device manager as it was still picked by Windows when I plugged our board in.

Hope this helps someone else but I'd still like to know what ST mean by "the STSW-STM32102 driver is no more adequate" ?

The old VCP driver did work for us, but felt like the Native Windows driver is the way forward, especially as we'll never run our PC software on anything less than Windows 10.