cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 built-in high speed (480 Mbit/s) USB PHY max VCP speed?

TDK
Guru

Most STM32 products only have an onboard FS USB PHY which limits clock speed to 12Mbps. On these, I can achieve just over 7 Mbps actual transfer speed on the CDC/VCP interface.

Some STM32F7 chips have an onboard HS PHY.

• Can this setup still use the same CDC library and drivers? It is a benefit to be able to use Windows drivers instead of having to install other ones (e.g. FTDI D2xx). The serial/VCP interface is also nice and easy to work with on the PC side.
  • What is the achievable transfer speed using this PHY? Is there an example project which demonstrates this on a Nucleo or Discovery board? I see a lot of hits for the FS PHY behavior, but none of note on the HS PHY.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

I can't imagine this is that rare a situation. No experiences?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

No first hand experience here, just a few comments:

- not"some F7" but only the'F723 (and the "value" bigger-size 'F750)

- it probably won't be any different from using other 'F7 with external PHY

- USB is quite much layered so as long as any HS class works (especially such using bulk transfer), it's quite likely VCP will work too

- we all know what's the quality of the Cube stuff, there are also commercial offerings out there (I don't say it automatically means they are better in any regard)

- devil is in the details

JW

JW