cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First hand on Nucleo pack and FUS_IMAGE_NOT_AUTHENTIC error when upgrading FUS on STM32WB55RG

Steven.D
Associate II

0690X00000AqongQAB.pngHi all,

I've got my hands on the STM32WB55 Nucleo pack. I've been trying to test the pre-loaded application first but i wasn't able to make the board and the dongle communicate.

So I tried loading an other example project on the board and then I lost the LCD display, it is not showing anything anymore, even after loading the default .hex. How can I fix that ?

After this, i wanted to mke sure that I would be able to flash the RF stack in case of a problem so I followed the steps of the Release notes to flash the Wireless Coprocessor Binary, making sure that I got every step right and that I was writing to the right addresses (0x080ec000 for fus and 0x080cb000 for the ble_stack) . But I always end-up with an FUS_IMAGE_NOT_AUTHENTIC error.

I tried different FUS and stack files version but nothing changes.

I've tried to perform a full chip erase with CubeProgrammer before upgrade and also I wrote 0xBB, then 0xAA to RDP. But I still got this issue.

Any help will be welcome

7 REPLIES 7
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​First of all, are you using the latest CUbeWB FW V1.3.0 version and the latest Cube rogrammer V2.2 version? They are both available on the st.com web site.

Then could you download all the option bytes?

Last could you read the the version of the current FUS at  0x20030030?

Do you perform a fw delete before initiating the sequence of the FUS uodate and then the RF update?

Could you show me a log of your procedure?

Steven.D
Associate II

0690X00000Aqp4NQAR.pngHi Remi,

Thanks for the quick answer.

After a check, i have the latest versions.

Here are the option bytes and the log where I followed the steps in the release notes. Except that here I try to upgrade FUS even though I have the expected value to go to STEP 6. I do this because when i tried to pudate FUS before I didn't had expected value from ( i was having : 0x20030030 : 00050300) and I ALWAYS came across that FUS_IMAGE_NOT_AUTHENTIC error.

As you can see i try first to read the current FUS version before doing fwdelete and I get -> 0x20030030 : 00000000.

Is this normal behavior ?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

In fact, all is OK. Just after performing the fwdelete correctly, the reading of the FUS version is 0x01000200 which is the correct version V1.2 for the FUS.

Then you try to upgrade the FUS from the CubeWB FW package which is V1.2 too. So this it is not needed. I understand the error message is a bit misleading but this error happens when you try to update the FUS with a new one with the same version.

Then the RF stack update completed correctly. So no issue. If you read the FUS version now It should still be 0x01000200.

You can now download the user application at 0x08000000 et it should work fine.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

>As you can see i try first to read the current FUS version before doing fwdelete and I get -> 0x20030030 : 00000000. Is this normal behavior ?

Yes as the first time you access this addess, the FUS is not activated. The first time the FUS is activated, it write its version at 0x20030030. The FUS is activated when you call the first command that is handled by the FUS like fwdelte or fwupgrade.​

The reading of the Flash memory does not require the FUS (activated) to be performed.

Steven.D
Associate II

Okay, thanks alot it's much clearer now ! 🙂

By chance, would you have any idea as why I lost the LCD display and how I can make it work ? Is it handled in the default.hex as it was in the pre-loaded app ?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​Sorry but there is no LCD display in the STM32WB55 package (Nucleo + dongle).

What HW are you using? Whar example did you load on the device?

Steven.D
Associate II

Oh ok I see, I got this package from a colleague who went to one of ST's workshop. The package was as if it was brand new, but clearly one piece have been added. I don't have infos on the display. I loaded the "BLE_p2pServer_reference.hex" and I was expecting it to print data on the display. Now that I know that everything is ok I can get to work.

Thank you!