cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with SW4STM32 Workspaces, what are the RULES, why PROPERTIES won't show the present WORKSPACE?

TFlac
Associate III

I am new to STM32F products and SW4STM32 Development Tools including CubeMX. I also own a STM32F303RE Eval Brd. While working with SW4STM32 (IDE) I created a WORKSPACE; part of the initial opening. Also, the INITIAL install of STM32Cube_F3 included the locations of the PROJECT EXAMPLES. The first time I used SW4STM32, the tool opened and ask for a WORKSPACE. The tool actually picked the workspace and all I needed to do was accept. While working with the tools I noted the original EXAMPLES file got changed. I was working with EXAMPLES\GPIO\GPIO_IOToggle. I decided to back-track to see how the files got changed.

My thought was to go back and reload STM32Cube_F3 again in a new directory, thus restoring all the examples to their initial state. I wanted the changed EXAMPLE files in the initial STM32Cube_F3 to remain in the changed state. I then proceeded to open the GPIO EXAMPLE again under the new STM32CubeF3 install using the SW4STM32 (IDE). This did not work so well.

When I opened the SW4STM32 the PROJECT EXPLORER was empty. The design space was 100% empty. I went over to the PROJECT TAB and the OPEN PROJECT selection was grayed out. I then went to SWITCH WORKSPACE and that's when the problems began; the SW4STM32 would reboot in a loop, coming back to a same blank environment. I spent several minutes trying to load the EXAMPLES and there was no way to do it, not even through IMPORT. The IMPORT procedure stated there was a WORKSPACE issue.

I finally went back to SWITCH WORKSPACE and selected one of the two choices offered by the tool. I noted there were four previous projects in PROJECT EXPLORER; this was a relief, seemed I found a valid WORKSPACE. 

I proceeded to IMPORT the GPIO_IOToggle example and the SW4 IDE TOOL would not let it load. The tool complained about WORKPLACE conflict.

I then opened MS WINDOWS EXPLORER where the GPIO_IOToggle was located, selected it, Dragged and Dropped the selected PROJECT file into SW4 PROJECT EXPLORER. The SW4 IDE took the GPIO PROJECT and loaded it into PROJECT EXPLORER window. I looked at MAIN.C properties and noted the file had a PATH RESOLVE (POINTER) attached to it. This did not seem to cause a problem, I was able to download the GPIO EXAMPLE and enter DEBUG.

So my question and concern is with the WORKSPACES. I also note there is no way to see what WORKSPACE the PROJECTS in currently in while SW4STM32 is open. The SPACE can be changed, but can't be identified through PROPERTIES.

Can anyone speak about this matter with workspaces? The lesson might be; It's probably not good to have two SW4STM32 loaded.

4 REPLIES 4
TFlac
Associate III

The last sentence should have read:

The lesson might be; It's probably not good to have two "STM32F_Cube_F3" loaded.

TFlac
Associate III

One last thing, for those who wish to follow the documents used, I used UM1727 -PG 18 and UM1766 - PG 19. Both of these documents outline the way to load a project into SW4STM32, neither was any help for the situation.

TFlac
Associate III

I am sharing this frustrating post from "System WorkBench Workspace" difficulties from March 2015. This designer is/was having the same problem I am experiencing. We can all benefit from this post and answer.

***********************************************************************************

Posted by scrungy_doolittle on 2015-03-17 02:09

I have a workspace configured. 

I have created a couple projects, neither has worked correctly. 

I contacted STM FAE and sent him the files, and he created a clean project and sent it to me. 

I have unpacked the zip file into the workspace directory. 

However, even if I relaunch eclipse the project does not show up in the project explorer. 

I cannot find a way to simply open the project (doesn’t show up on a open project). 

I cannot find a way to add an existing project. Since I have created a project, the last one created opens up.

Eclipse as an IDE is not user friendly. I’m used to the Silabs one. No problem, pops open a window, you navigate to the .wsp file you want and click, and it opens the project. Simple as that. I find no analogous way to do that. 

I made the mistake of creating a project for the STM32F411, and specified that I wanted the jpeg and sdio libraries as well. They fail on build. I could find no way to remove them from the project. 

I created a new project, did NOT select those files. Yet the build tried to build the ANYWAY. And failed. 

Neither project will build, and I can’t figure out how to remove the jpeg etc from the project.

So I had the FAE create a clean project and send it to me. 

I can’t open it. 

If I click on the .cproject and run, it opens eclipse, with that file open. All xml stuff. Does not open the project. 

If I click on .project it asks me for the application (windows 😎 to use to open it. I navigated to the AC6 directory and selected eclipse. 

It does not open the file. 

just shows me the prior two bad projects.

HOW do you force the project explorer to pick up the projects out of the workspace file?

I’m getting extremely frustrated with this whole process. It should not be so hard.

Help.

************************* Verifying ANSWER as of Aug 26, 2019*****************************

************************** Will return shortly *******************************************

TFlac
Associate III

Final answer to this delima. After careful research in IDE tools it is concluded that if starting with the STM32 products and software, it is advised to go into using STM32CubeIDE immediately. I am a new user and had to start somewhere. Of course I found the PDFs in circulation contains many examples, nevertheless there are bugs going back several years. I spent my 2 weeks and with other IDEs, now I'm working with and will stay with CubeIDE going forward.