cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L6470 NEMA17 MotorParameterData_t for 10rps (2000 steps/s)

S.Kamath
Associate II

Hi All, I'm using ​NUCLEO-F401RE + X-NUCLEO-IHM02A1 + NEMA17 stepper motor. Motor stalls above 6rps (1200steps/sec). Can someone share MotorParameterData_t for  NEMA17 stepper motor, 103H5210-5240 (SANYO DENKI - SANMOTION 103H5210-5240 Stepper Motor)?

My present MotorParameterData_t attached (NEMA17_stepper_param.txt)

Also, Any tools available for calculation of MotorParameterData_t?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Enrico Poli
ST Employee

Dear @S.Kamath​ 

You can find some guidelines about the configuration of the L6470 in the AN4144 Voltage mode control operation and parameter optimization

Calculation requires to know:

• Supply voltage
  • Target current
  • Motor phase inductance
  • Motor phase resistance
  • Motor electrical constant (easily measurable through oscilloscope)

An useful tool for the configuration "BEMF compensation tool" embedded into the SPINFamily. It calculates all the parameters automatically starting from the input above.

[edit: I removed a wrong link]

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear S.KAMATH

Are your two questions still requiring some answers?

Best Regards

Laurent Ca...

Thanks Laurent,
Is there any guidelines/recommendations available in order to operate motor above 10rps?
Best Regards,
Sadashiva Kamath
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Thanks Laurent,

I have seen above mentioned link.

1. Is there any guidelines/recommendations available in order to operate motor above 6rps?
  2. Any tools available for calculation of MotorParameterData_t in order to run Motor at higher speed?MotorParameterData_t is shown below . How to optimize these parameter for higher motor speed

const MotorParameterData_t MotorParameterInitData[EXPBRD_MOUNTED_NR_MAX][L6470DAISYCHAINSIZE] = {

{

{9.0, 400, 1.7, 3.06, 240.0, 400.0, 400.0, 320.0, 0.0, 602.7, 3.06, 3.06,\

3.06, 3.06, 61.52, 392.1569e-6, 643.1372e-6, 643.1372e-6, 0,\

3.06*1000*1.10, 3.06*1000*1.00, MICROSTEP_1_128, 0xFF, 0x2E88},

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

​Dear S.KAMATH

My team is in charge of Motor Control SDK which does not currently cover stepper motors, but I have forwarded your message internaly in order to check if we can answer you.

Best regards.

Laurent C.

​Dear S.KAMATH

In waiting news from some colleagues, could you answer to the following question:

• Do you confirm that you use microstepping?
  • If yes, why do you use microstepping instead of half-step or full-step that are generally better to increase speed?

Best regards.

Laurent C.

Enrico Poli
ST Employee

Dear @S.Kamath​ 

You can find some guidelines about the configuration of the L6470 in the AN4144 Voltage mode control operation and parameter optimization

Calculation requires to know:

• Supply voltage
  • Target current
  • Motor phase inductance
  • Motor phase resistance
  • Motor electrical constant (easily measurable through oscilloscope)

An useful tool for the configuration "BEMF compensation tool" embedded into the SPINFamily. It calculates all the parameters automatically starting from the input above.

[edit: I removed a wrong link]

Thanks Laurent..!

Thanks Laurent..!

We're running pump at 1/128 micro stepping. We have observed improved performance at 1/16 micro stepping

Not tried half-step or full-step as we're looking higher precision