cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STC3100 VCC to GND short

adami
Associate

Hi, 

I designed battery powered circuit using STC3100 as battery monitoring. I started soldering the prototype and it appears that there is a short between VCC Pin and GND. (Short seen with a multimeter, I did not connect the battery, so I dont expect it to be damaged with electrical overstress)

I didn't use R2 mentioned in the application note as it was optionnal.

Is this short normal and it will disapear with biasing the VIN ?

I did unsolder properly the chip and the short is still there on the chip alone.

2 REPLIES 2
Lead

> ... it appears that there is a short between VCC Pin and GND. (Short seen with a multimeter, ...

This conclusion is questionable.

Multimeters measure resistance by means of applying a voltage between probes, and measure the current. This voltage is most probably well below the minimum supply voltage, so the behavior of the MCU is undefined.

I would suggest to make first hardware tests with an external power supply with a current limit enabled.

I would start with about 150 to 200% of the expected operation current as limit.

adami
Associate

Thank you for your answer.

I confirm that with a power supply, it's really shorted.

Enclosed is the schematic in case you wonder. Only this part is mounted right now. And no short when the chip is not present.

Could it be the fact that VIN is shorted to VCC ? (even if I would not understand why)

Kind regards.