cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom name in USB-DFU-Mode

SSchn.8
Associate II

Greetings,

I am currently using for the STM32F469ZI the build-in USB-DFU-Bootloader. So far the bootloader is working well. The bootloader always register itself in Windows 7 as "STM Device in DFU Mode". Is there a possibility that this name can be changed somehow?

Kind regards

4 REPLIES 4
LMI2
Lead

Interesting question. I thought that ST would answer but no. This forum SW needs fine tuning and more support from ST.

This is what understand about your question. This was asked in Arduino forum some time ago and this is what I remember of it. There is the text "STM Device in DFU Mode" in your USB software and in the USB driver. They must match. And for a final product you need to get your own sign from Microsoft? or some USB committee? Google.

Ben K
Senior III

If you write and use your own Windows driver for it then you can specify what friendly name it should appear with.

SSchn.8
Associate II

Are you sure that this would help if we would write our own driver? I thought the string how the device ​is being recognized is hard coded in the device itself and not in the driver. Perhaps we could also manipulate the inf file from atm?

Well it is still going to show as the STM device, and have ST's VID/PID until you replace it with a nice name.

Better to have your own loader where you can control these things, if this level of appearance is important. The BOOT0 route is really for when you've entirely bricked all other options.

If you're doing >$10M/annum business you might try your luck with the FAE to see if you can get a custom loader in OTP, but you'll also be committing to orders you can't cancel.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..