cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to indentify counterfeit products of ST32F429i_Disco?

Linda
Associate II
Posted on March 21, 2015 at 03:00

We get a big damage in this batch, we doubt about they might be counterfeit products. Are there any way to identiry them? 

12 REPLIES 12
paulslattery9
Associate
Posted on March 30, 2015 at 12:18

Hi Linda,

I have got a batch of very simple EEPROMs which seem to be pulling my SDA line low. The part number is

M24C02-RMN6TP

and as soon as I lift the SDA pin on the EEPROM the issue is fixed. This is a re-use of an older design and I would also like to rule out counterfeit parts. Hopefully, some-one from ST will reply on this.

Regards,

Paul

Posted on March 30, 2015 at 14:34

If you think you've got bogus parts you should a) contact your distributor, b) contact you ST sales rep. This is a user forum, this is unlikely to be addressed here.

The screens on the STM32F429I-DISCO boards don't travel very well, had several arrive in the initial batch where the screen and it's metal shield separated, or screen/touch didn't work.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
re.wolff9
Senior
Posted on March 30, 2015 at 16:02

Paul, 

If you have an osciloscope, you can mount a resistor in your SDA and SCL lines. If you calculate value to say 1/20th of your pullup resistor, you'll see 1/20th of VCC across your resistor. Watch both sides of the resistor and you'll know which side is pulling low on the SDA or SCL line. The 160 mV across the resistor should be clearly visible on the scope. 

Linda
Associate II
Posted on April 07, 2015 at 00:17

Dear Clive1,

I have contacted the distributor, and filled the form according their instruction. But they just make me to wait, I have waited now already more than 1 month.

Is this company a qualified distributor? I have not seen them in your list of St.com:

www.FutureElectronics.com

Half of the devices did not work. some died when we were doing income inspect, some when we were doing programing, some in testing, some in the early life.

Thanks

Posted on April 07, 2015 at 00:57

I've worked with Future before.

As I've said the STM32F429I-DISCO boards don't travel well, even in the Continental USA via USPS or UPS.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Linda
Associate II
Posted on April 07, 2015 at 01:21

if it don't travel well, after we put it into our products, what will happen?

I still doubt that they are counterfeit, because I bough from Newark before, they worked fine. But this time I bought from the company that I mention above, the problem comes.

Posted on April 07, 2015 at 07:23

Future is a very reputable company from Canada (yay). They would not knowingly sell counterfeit goods. They may not be as big as Newark, but they are definitely real.

In Canada we do not have ready access to counterfeit goods, like one would in Shenzhen, Shanghai (like my ''Rolex'' for $15), or in Mong Kok (SCO UNIX for $10 in 1988, with manuals). Ordering counterfeits would be just as much effort for Future as ordering originals, without the backlash that happens if you get caught.

And when ST's disco board prices are better at Digikey than buying off of Aliexpress(!), why would anybody bother with potential fakes?
Linda
Associate II
Posted on April 07, 2015 at 12:12

I hope so. I hope there is not counterfeit in F429 yet, because we count so much on unique ID to protect our programing.  I heard  somebody already can hack F103, they can make as many as you want and any unique ID as you want.

Lead
Posted on April 07, 2015 at 14:26

Of curse it's possible to copy such complex chips, given one is willing to invest the required ressources.

In the '70 and '80, the Z80, MC6800, the i8008 and the i8086 were all reverse-engineered and copied in the eastern bloc. This bloc was an almost-closed economic zone, and copying was obviously cheaper than developing something different. (A sale was officially not allowed, think ''CoCom''.)

Is there someone with the required ressources, and a motive different from ''making a quick buck'' ? Faking discovery board is obviously not a profitable endeavour.

One (or at least I) would expect action from ST in this case ...