maynard
Associate
Posted on September 02, 2004 at 15:23

WinCE Atlas USB issue

4 REPLIES 4
maynard
Associate
Posted on February 04, 2004 at 16:54

I have the STPC ATLASISABD evaluation board. I used the primary bootloader provided by STPC in their Atlas support site. I also used their secondary bootloader to try and load a WinCE 4.2 image based on the STPC Atlas BSP for WinCE 4.2. So, all images that I am using are provided by STPC.

Here's my problem. I am trying to make the USB keyboard and mouse work for the STPCISABD. I did the configuration on the WinCE 4.2 Platform Builder using the common USB drivers that was provided for an x86 cpu architecture. Whatever I do, it just does not work.

I'm not sure if STPC is supposed to provide the USB driver for their WinCE 4.2 BSP or am I supposed to use the common USB drivers. As of now, the only thing that the Atlas BSP has is for the DISPLAY driver. There is no mention of doing anything special for the USB to work.

Here is what I found out so far with the WinCE kernel/driver. After the board boots up the WinCE image, I plugged in a USB keyboard and the root hub seems to detect the new device. Looking at the debug messages coming from the serial port, the USB Host Controller driver is waiting (INFINITELY) for a response back from the USB device and never getting it back. It is at the point where the USB Host Controller is trying to assign a valid address to the device but still talking to it using address 0 (root).

Does anyone know what is causing this? Did I miss anything at all with the USB configuration for WinCE? Do I need a real BIOS to make this work?

Did anyone try to use the USB ports for the ATLASISA board and got it to work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Maynard

sw8
Associate II
Posted on March 12, 2004 at 11:25

I tried to use the USB ports for the ATLASISABD board without success. I tried with Windows 98, linux and an RTOS without any result. I sent e-mails to ST support but they don't answer unless I repeat my request; even then the answer is strange, they seem not to understand my problem (which is very clear, like yours). I tried also asking help in this forum but as I pointed out that I need to make the ALTLASISABD evaluation board work, there was no answer.

I decided to use an external PCI-to-USB bridge, like other boards developers do, because my impression is that or the ATLAS USB ports don't work at all, either there is not a valid support from ST.

regards,

Sergino
marios
Associate II
Posted on March 15, 2004 at 15:02

Hi,

it may be because your AtlasISA board has an old revision of the STPC Atlas chip. On the early silicon revs the USB was not functional, and there were some other flaws, like being unstable at higher speeds. I had the CPU changed on by board. Under Win98SE, if I connect a USB device the system goes to the wizard to find the driver so I assume that the OHCI controller works fine) Can you check the date code information on your CPU? Perhaps the STPC support people can tell from your date code if the parts on your demo board are good or not.

(but I do not mean that this is your WinCE problem)

Felix

kaouther
Associate II
Posted on September 02, 2004 at 15:23

Hi,

The USB port woks successfully on the Atlasis board with either WINCE 4.2 & WIN98.

In fact, there is a workaround for the Atlasis board. Please refer to the message posted on 25-08-2004.

This is the URL:

http://www.stmcu.com/forums-cat-1881-6.html

Thanks.