sjackson
Associate II
Posted on November 18, 2009 at 04:27

Daisy chained interrupt errata fix

11 REPLIES 11
sjackson
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 09:56

I'm having some problems where, after a seemingly random amount of time, UART1 will suddenly stop receiving data. Other interrupts on VIC1, like external interrupts through the WIU channel, continue to function fine.

I am wondering if this is related to the new errata that was added to the November 2008 document for the STR9 (item 2.17).

The workaround here is not very clear and in fact causes my application to crash when the first interrupt from any source is received. My best interpretation of the fix is to adjust the code to fit my ISR routine in 91x_vect.s file by changing the #12 in the last line to the appropriate number for my application (number of code lines prior to the LDR instruction times 4). As I said, though, this doesn't work.

Has anyone else successfully implemented a workaround to this errata? If your fix was done for use with FreeRTOS that's a bonus for me but I'd like to take a look at any working fixes that I can.

Thanks!

kais
Associate II

Hi,

Obviously there is a chance to be due to Daisy chained interrupt controller VIC1 Hardware Priority management limitation already mentioned I the current Errata sheet but I can't confirm.

For your information ST plan to update the AN2593 ''STR91x interrupt management'' with a software example demonstrating how to implement the Workaround through an easy example. This will be available beginning of January 2009.

Kind regards,

Kais.

nle
Associate II

we have had a similar problem with the uart1 stops triggering. we have suspected a modification in our IRQHandler that disabled interrupts. it seems to work fine after we put the modification back.

my question is how should we go about to determine the cause of the problem if interrupt stops trigerring? (sorry just new to Arm) thanks.

nle
Associate II

[ This message was edited by: nle on 28-10-2009 05:47 ]

nle
Associate II

nle
Associate II

Quote:

On 28-10-2009 at 05:41, Anonymous wrote:

[ This message was edited by: nle on 28-10-2009 05:47 ]

why is my message always blank???

nle
Associate II

I just found out the CODE tag doesnt work for me. Message becomes blank. Following is my message:

I have been trying to find a set of source code for the interrupt management issues that would fit to our development environment.

currently we are using ARM Developer Suite v1.2 (ADS 1.2).

our IRQHandler is in this format:

IRQHandler

SUB lr,lr,#4 ; Update the link register

SaveContext r0,r12 ; Save the workspace plus the current

; return address lr_irq and spsr_irq

LDR r0, = VectorAddress

LDR r0, [r0] ; Read the routine address

LDR r1, = VectorAddressDaisy

LDR r1, [r1]

; Padding between the acknowledge and re-enable of interrupts

; For more details, please refer to the following URL

; http://www.arm.com/support/faqip/3682.html

NOP

NOP

;put back modification for test uart1 problem

MSR cpsr_c,#0x1F ; Switch to SYS mode and enable IRQ

; MSR cpsr_c,#0x1F | I_Bit ; Switch to SYS mode and enable IRQ ; '08-Nov-18 M.T.

STMFD sp!,{lr} ; Save the link register.

LDR lr, = IRQ_ReturnAddress ; Read the return address.

MOV pc, r0 ; Branch to the IRQ handler.

IRQ_ReturnAddress

LDMFD sp!,{lr} ; Restore the link register.

MSR cpsr_c,#0xD2 | I_Bit ; Switch to IRQ mode and disable IRQ

LDR r0, = VectorAddress ; Write to the VectorAddress to clear the

STR r0, [r0] ; respective interrupt in the internal interrupt

LDR r1, = VectorAddressDaisy ; Write to the VectorAddressDaisy to clear the

STR r1,[r1] ; respective interrupt in the internal interrupt

RestoreContext r0,r12 ; Restore the context and return to the...

; ...program execution.

What we have found that there are examples of the interrupt management document for RVDK which uses a slightly different interrupt handler. And it seems the so called stacking preamble offset is different for each compiler? We are researching this issue (we are new to ARM).

Question:

Is there any sample that would fit to the interrupt handler that we use?

Failing that, how would i go about to adjust the sample code to fit to our IRQHandler?

We are worried we might inadvertently read or write to DVAR twice for example? Or is it safe?

[ This message was edited by: nle on 28-10-2009 06:00 ]

[ This message was edited by: nle on 28-10-2009 06:01 ]

jomedfree
Associate II

Thanks for the highly detailed explanation regarding VICs usage.

I just have an extra question:

I want to use one FIQ (associated with only one source from TIMx) with the highest priority, and two or three IRQ (UART0, I2C, SSP), I want the FIQ be able to interrupt all other IRQ in progress. I do not need the IRQ to interrupt another IRQ.

Shall I just add the dummy write to VIC0-VAR in the IRQ handler.

Do I have to add dummy write to VIC0-VAR in the FIQ handler too?

Do I have to add the IENABLE/IDISABLE in the IRQ handler to allow FIQ to interrupt IRQ?

Thanks in advance for the IRQ/FIQ clarification

Joel

nle
Associate II

I have found this particular IRQ handler. It came from STR910 evaluation board sample source.

I have been comparing this with the latest stmicro samples and also sample from interrupt management recommendations document. And had some time to review the section on interrupts from the reference manual.

I now start to think there are some questionable lines in this sample IRQHandler, which our previous team had followed as is, in relation to our interrupt handler functions that only handle the related interrupt and doesnt write to VARs:

-In the beginning of IRQHandler, reading VectorAddressDaisy, which is VIC1.VAR.

-At the end of IRQHandler, writing to both VectorAddress and VectorAddressDaisy (VIC0.VAR and VIC1.VAR).

Our system use several uarts simultaneously and we have experienced various interrupt and uart strange behaviour.

We are now in the process to try the latest sample from the interrupt management recommendation.

I have also been informed by previous team that the setting of I-Bit was to disable nested interrupt as part of the design. I have temporarily put it back to the original sample. Actually we have tested both but there is not much difference. We still have problems on missed characters, interrupts not triggering, interrupts with no events and worst case program just stopped. This program crash happens very rarely but still happens if running after several hours.

By the way, our system originally did not have such issues when only the Timer0 and Uart0 were running. We started having problems as we expand our program to use the additional Uarts.

[ This message was edited by: nle on 06-11-2009 10:39 ]