cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Mac or Linux drivers for STlink/V2

pcklee123
Associate
Posted on October 06, 2011 at 00:58

Is there any possibility of Mac or Linux drivers for programming the STM32L board. I intend to use this for a class next year (Jan 2012) to introduce micro controllers and I wanted the students to bring the board home to complete assignments. However some students use Macs only so it will be difficult for them if there are no Mac drivers. Currently no students in my school use Linux, but if a linux driver exists, it would make sense for me to get the students to use a live CD and do their assignments in linux as that would allow for more uniform instructions.

#stlink-mac
6 REPLIES 6
texane
Associate
Posted on October 16, 2011 at 10:28

Hi,

You can have a look here:

https://github.com/texane/stlink

A tutorial is available in:

doc/tutorial/tutorial.pdf

The MacOSX version is not yet available since the soft still

requires libsg for stlinkv1. But you can compile it without

the stlinkv1 support, in which case it should run on MacOSX

and Windows. The only dep is libusb-1.0.

Any contribution is welcome!

Regards,

Fabien.

pcklee123
Associate
Posted on October 22, 2011 at 14:40

Thanks Fabien. Followed the tutorial on Ubuntu oneiric. Seems to work except  had to change the order of linking. libusb-1.0 had to be at the end otherwise I got link errors. I am trying it out with Macosx now. Compiles with no errors, but I am waiting for the toolchain to download and build.

texane
Associate
Posted on October 23, 2011 at 15:30

Hi,

This bug has been fixed in the master. Plus, a support for stm32l

flash read,write has been added. The tutorial.pdf contains more

information.

Best regards,

Fabien.

Posted on November 07, 2011 at 16:27

However some students use Macs only so it will be difficult for them if there are no Mac drivers.

They need to learn to ''Think Differently'', a netbook runs $160-$240. This might prove to be a particularly import lesson about where the industry is, and what you'll be expected to use and adapt too.

And then we wonder where the low cost embedded development mind share and effort congregates.

To use a woodworking hobbiest analogy, the guys buying $599 12'' sliding mitre saws can easily afford a $99 10'' fixed mitre saw, and understand the appropriateness of each.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
stm2399
Associate II
Posted on November 07, 2011 at 19:28

I just got Versaloon to support the ST-Link part of the STM32L-Discovery , and have programmed the STM32L-Discovery via OpenOCD & GDB.

http://www.versaloon.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20318

It does require some soldering (2 wires) & to be able to program the onboard ST-Link chip via SWD .. Ie. another STM32L or VL.

/Bingo

pavel239955
Associate
Posted on September 15, 2015 at 12:53

another kind of st-link flash and debug tool is here:

https://github.com/pavelrevak/pystlink

it works on all platforms where is running python and has very simple command line interface not only for flashing but also for simple debugging from console.

even if it still need some improvements, but it's getting to be a useful.