cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SWIM from STM8S Discoveryboard for STM8AF

SWiel.1
Associate II

Hello community,

after unsoldering the solderbridges of the STM8S-Disco-Board, I try to connect the SWIM to a STM8AF Chip. I read in the manueal, that this is not possible (only for STM8S-Family). But after trying it, I could flas Code on the µC and Debug it with the STVD. For example, a counter in my programm ist counting up 🙂

But if I want to switch Timer1-Output-Pin from LOW to HIGH, nothing happens.

Is ist possible,, that I can program the µC and it is running without errors, but the mapping of the GPIOs are not correctly done?

Is there a influence of the SWIM-adapter even if I had chosen the STM8AF-Chip in STVD?

Thank you all, Steffen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SWiel.1
Associate II

Hello Ozone, hello Community,

I'm sorry, but the problem was on my side:

Our PCB has some defect connections, that was the reason why I could not switch the TIM1 Pin. When I now switch an unconnected pin, I can regulate the output via Software.

So, despite of the hint in the UM 8017 we can use the STM8S-Discoboard SWIM to connect STM8AF µCs 😉

Nevertheless, today I received my ST-LINK-V2 device, so I do not use the discoboard for those purpose anymore.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ozone
Lead

I suppose the firmware of the STM8S SWIM controller on the STM8S-Disco is limited to the S family, most probably because of code/Flash size reasons.

Thus, you are likely running an incorrect configuration.

Perhaps you can "update" the SWIM firmware to that of a STM8AF device.

Had been severeal years since I had been working with STM8s, though.

SWiel.1
Associate II

Hi Ozone,

Thank you very much for the quick answer 🙂

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. (the incorrect configuration).

Does anyone know, where I can find an "update" from STM8S to STM8AF? On the ST hompage I did not found anything - only updates of the SWIM itself, bur not for different µCs

SWiel.1
Associate II

Hello Ozone, hello Community,

I'm sorry, but the problem was on my side:

Our PCB has some defect connections, that was the reason why I could not switch the TIM1 Pin. When I now switch an unconnected pin, I can regulate the output via Software.

So, despite of the hint in the UM 8017 we can use the STM8S-Discoboard SWIM to connect STM8AF µCs 😉

Nevertheless, today I received my ST-LINK-V2 device, so I do not use the discoboard for those purpose anymore.