cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check the checksum via STVP_Cmdline

ShawnHong
Associate II

I download firmware in s19 format via STVP program.
I would like to know how to check the checksum of firmware via STVP_Cmdline.
How can I check it through the command?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

In my previous answer, I assumed that you wanted to use STVD in conjunction with an STM32. However, as the name suggests, the STM32CubeProgrammer is only suitable for STM32; the STM8s already on NRND cannot be programmed with it. I am therefore extremely sorry to have to summarise that I cannot suggest a solution to your problem.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @ShawnHong, to the community!

For which MCU do you want to use STVP?

Do you realise that STVP has been on NRND (Not Recommended for New Design) for many years and should be replaced by STM32CubeProgrammer?

In addition, STVP cannot handle checksums, whereas STM32_Programmer_CLI (part of STM32CubeProgrammer) can.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your information.

We are using STM8S003F3P6 and uploading the firmware via STVP.

Our goal is to develop a method to automatically upload FW by sending commands to prevent incorrect FW selection in production line.

For this I'd like to know how to verify the checksum via command.

If we are using STM32_Programmer_CLI, can you provide a command for this?

Thanks a lot.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

In my previous answer, I assumed that you wanted to use STVD in conjunction with an STM32. However, as the name suggests, the STM32CubeProgrammer is only suitable for STM32; the STM8s already on NRND cannot be programmed with it. I am therefore extremely sorry to have to summarise that I cannot suggest a solution to your problem.

Regards
/Peter

Philipp Krause
Senior II

Well, STM8S (and STM8L) is back to "active", no longer NRND!

However, as FOSS tends to be less problematic wrt. hardware vendors dropping support: have you considered using stm8flash instead of STVP? However, stm8flash is not a full STVP replacement: it supports the STM8 only, so there is no STM32 and ST7 support. It is for flashing only (not on-target debugging - the FOSS solution for on-target debugging on STM8 uses OpenOCD and GDB).