cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADC Accuracy

MAnsa.1
Associate II

Hi Guys, i am using STM8S003F3 controller and i want to that how can i achive 0.1v accuracy when my ADC resolution is 1023 and my total count is 2000.

13 REPLIES 13

Going to want to use a 16-bit ADC, not going to be able magic 5-6-bits of additional accuracy, can you range/scale so you don't need 0.1v resolution at full scale?

AC or DC voltage

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Now that's something different.

Any resolution figure is related to the voltage actually presented to the ADC input.

And if I am not mistaken, the STM8 requires all analog (ADC) input voltages to be postive, i.e. > Vss.

So, you need to shift the field input value into the positive range, preferably with an opamp.

And such a level shift can amplify the signal at the same time, to make best use of the ADC.

Like shifting/amplifying it from -1.0V...+1.0V to 0V...+5.0V, minus same headroom for tolerances perhaps.

yes did that i got + and - value but the only issue is it is jumping by 2v only mean we can say that 2v and i am looking for 0.1v accuracy or at least 1v accuracy.how can i get that??/

> how can i get that??/

Doing some simple math, approaching it from the other end.

You have a 2.0V signal range, and want 0.1V resolution. Which are 100mV, as pointed out.

This gives 2.0V / 0.1 V = 20 steps.

Next 2^n factor greater than 20 is 32, so you would need 5 bit, getting 0.0625V per step.

A 4-bit resolution would give you 0.125V per step.

To get that from a 10-bit ADC, you would just have to right-shift the result by 3 or 4 bits.

If you actually meant 1mV, you need 2.0/0.001 = 2000 steps, meaning at least 11 bit resolution.