cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing STM32MP1 custom board over JTAG

ANiko.3
Associate II

Hello,

I need to flash a custom STM32MP1 board which only has JTAG (no USB port available). Additionally, I build the image using Yocto meaning the output are separate binaries (e.g. U-Boot) and .tsv files.

The STM32CubeProgrammer detects the CPU with the ST-LINK/V2 in-circuit debugger. However trying to flash the device comes with the error:

```

Error: TSV files are not supported with JTAG/SWD debug interface

```​

Could someone give me more info on how I could flash over JTAG and by using the STM32CubeProgrammer? Or how I could flash in any other way (dont forget that Yocto generates separate binaries and the .tsv files).

12 REPLIES 12

Great, you have clarified everything, thanks Patrick.

Hello Patrick,

we have UART on the board and according the documentation it should be possible to use STMCubeProgrammer over UART. Why did you say "UART can barely be used too"? Did other developers reported some problems with it? Both STMCubeProgrammer webpage and the application note AN5275 (USB DFU/USART protocols used in STM32MP1 Series bootloaders) say that flashing over UART should also be possible. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.

UART will work using the pins defined in https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32MP15_ROM_code_overview#UART_Boot

Issue is around same UART usage in uBoot as console, which need to be avoided otherwise conflict will occur with CubeProgrammer commands. I think some compile option are needed (I'm not expert of this).

This is likely better supported in latest Ecosystem. There will be a new v2.1.0 very soon, stay tuned!

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.