cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to erase the complete external flash memory using chip erase function

GGupt.2
Associate II

In our project, we are using flash loader to write/read/erase the external flash memory connected with microcontroller. 

This read/write/erase operation is working as expected.

However, if we perform the full chip erase, it erases only part of the external flash memory (till 512KB) and not the complete external flash memory. We found that ST cube programmer is sending only end address till 512KB only if we perform the full chip erase than complete flash memory area. 

seems ST cube programmer is considering the external flash memory size equal to the microcontroller flash memory causing this issue.

In our project, we are using external flash memory of 16 Mbyte. Once we perform the full chip erase of external flash memory, it sends the end address as 0x9007FFFF than 0x91000000(see the attached screenshot).

Can you please check it at our end and see if you see the same issue.

7 REPLIES 7

No screen shot attached.

The size is not determined by MCU RAM, but size communicated via StorageInfo structure.

Some parts deal with mass erase differently, some multi-die parts (Micron) need addressing explicity and waited on individually. Watch also block protection bits and settings preventing erasure.

Could also be a bug on your side.​

You don't identify any of the parts involved..​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
GGupt.2
Associate II

Learned you are using STM32G0 part.

Show StorageInfo structure. ​

Douglas MILLER
ST Employee

This forum thread was marked by the moderator as needing a little more investigation, so a Support case was created in your name and will be handled off-line. Should anyone have any similar questions, please feel free to open a Support case directly at your myST portal: https://my.st.com/ols

It would be helpful to enumerate detail.

Like what STM32G0

The pins used for the QSPI interface.

What Flash Memory Part#

Assume no one here is familiar with the specifics of your design / implementation.

GGupt.2
Associate II

Thanks Douglas. ST team confirmed that the issue is with ST cube programmer and issue is reported to programmer team. Issue number is 00178573.

Hi Tesla, this issue is happening with STM32G0B0KE. As confirmed by ST team, the issue is with ST cube programmer and reported to programmer team for solution.