cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support HiDPI screens

miles f
Associate II

On laptops with 4k displays it is often necessary to use 2x scaling in order to enlarge text for legibility. Most modern software behaves well in this HiDPI environment.

Unfortunately ST's apps (such as CubeProgrammer) do not. Text in those apps is very small and difficult to read.

This issue has been raised 4+ years ago in a few other threads, but has not been fixed yet (at least not for Linux users). Raising the issue again in a new thread for visibility. The fix could be as simple as using a newer version of Java.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000A7X7mlSQC/cubemx-has-tiny-text-on-hidpi-screens

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AIe2YoSQJ/cubeprogrammer-doesnt-work-with-java-11

2 REPLIES 2
miles f
Associate II
_richard
Associate III

hi,

it is not clear if you report that behaviour for windows, mac, linux (kde, gnome, ...).

the general issue with eclipse and hidpi is long standing. you will find more results if you don't limit the search on cubide, but search for eclipse.

there are several approaches with different pros and cons.

for linux the with kde the only reliable way for me was for now reducing the screen resolution. this is ridiculous in 2023 but probably one of the reasons why a less capable "ide" like vscode gets traction. (stm should change to clion, some agreement like android studio)

there may be a stable solution to these hdpi problems but i didn't find it and was searching again and again for solutions for hdpi related problems as things changed over time. i don't understand why eclipse doesn't solve this on a reliable way that is documented and configurable in the ide.

for windows the windows application properties / compatibility / change hdpi settings -> system enhanced setting worked for. the system setting blurs the fonts.

but for for cubeide 1.12.1 i experience new problems with tab titles and this setting. but you may want to try it as it may be related to anything in the combination from eclipse to my graphics drivers.

ps.

adding

-Dswt.enable.autoScale=true
-Dswt.autoScale=175
-Dswt.autoScale.method=nearest

to "path:\ to \STM32CubeIDE_1.11.0\STM32CubeIDE\stm32cubeide.ini"

and deactivating the window application hdpi config seems to be usable for now.

no idea why this can not be configured in the ide.