cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 Ethernet "MII Full Duplex Only" mode missing in CubeMX >= 6.6.0?

Domenic_Gecko
Associate

Hi there,

For a number of years my team has used the MII Full Duplex Only mode in CubeMX for the Ethernet configuration with the STM32F767xxxx as shown in the screenshot below from CubeMX 6.5.0:

0693W00000Y7yoVQAR.png 

We recently updated to CubeMX 6.7.0 and found that the options had changed and the MII Full Duplex Only was removed in favor of just an MII option as shown in the screenshot below:

0693W00000Y7ypdQAB.png 

I saw in the release notes that the STM32CubeF7 HAL was updated to v1.17 starting with CubeMX v6.6.0 and that one of the changes was a re-write to the Ethernet HAL library. I'm assuming these changes are related?

With the removal of the full duplex only option it seems that CubeMX is now forcing us to allocate pins for the ETH_CRS and ETH_COL signals which are unneeded for our HW design. Unfortunately we need those pins allocated for other purposes so this has become a blocker for us to be able to upgrade to the latest version of CubeMX.

My understanding is that the CRS and COL signals are only needed when working with a half duplex connection between the MAC and PHY so for a number of HW designs the CRS and COL pins will be optional. Is there any workaround available or plan to add back an MII Full Duplex Only option to CubeMX in the future? If not, we won't be able to upgrade to a newer version of CubeMX unless we do a HW revision to switch from MII to RMII to free up more pins (which we would prefer not to do since the CRS and COL pins shouldn't be needed for our HW design).

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Aymen ABBES
ST Employee

Hi @Domenic_Gecko​ ,

Thank you for your contributions and for your detailed explanations,

I confirm the issue on my side, it has been reported to STM32CubeMX development team .

Internal ticket number: 142782 (This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

I will keep you posted with updates.

Hope that this answered your question.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards,

Aymen