cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I configure my F446RE clock to run at 180 MHZ?

SCamp.1041
Associate III

This continues to be a confusing topic for me. I am slowly beginning to understand how the MCU Clock Configuration tab works in CubeMX, but I could use a little clarity before I start tweaking all these values.

Here is my current clock configuration:

0693W00000GVvnfQAD.png 

I have an 8 MHZ external clock connected to PH0 and PH1, which I entered into the HSE block.

Now, if I want my MCU to run at its max speed of 180 MHZ, which part of this clock configuration should I change?

I feel like all I need to do is change the HCLK value to 180, but looking at the diagram it appears that the HCLK is being fed by the SYSCLK, which is set to 16 MHZ. So would I also need to set SYSCLK to 180 MHZ? Or is there some magic clock multiplication occurring between the SYSCLK and the HCLK?

😅

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KnarfB
Principal III

Just enter a 180 in the HCLK box, press ENTER and let CubeMX do the rest. In your above picture, the HSE clock is not used. Yo umay select it manually beforehand. And, you are right, the System Clock Mux will use the PLL clock for high freq. clocking which also increases SYSCLK.

hth

KnarfB

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
KnarfB
Principal III

Just enter a 180 in the HCLK box, press ENTER and let CubeMX do the rest. In your above picture, the HSE clock is not used. Yo umay select it manually beforehand. And, you are right, the System Clock Mux will use the PLL clock for high freq. clocking which also increases SYSCLK.

hth

KnarfB

Interesting. So I have been using the Internal 16 MHZ Crystal this whole time?

What about this configuration?

0693W00000GVwLIQA1.png 

To my understanding, I am now using the external 8 MHZ crystal which then gets multiplied by the PLL which then feeds the SYSCLK.

Does CubeMX automatically set all the peripheral clocks to their maximum? Or can I jump them up to 180 MHZ too?

TDK
Guru

> So would I also need to set SYSCLK to 180 MHZ? Or is there some magic clock multiplication occurring between the SYSCLK and the HCLK?

Yes. There's no magic, just what you see in the clock tree. There is a divisor between the two but it's usually set to /1.

You need to se the System Clock Mux to PLLCLK and adjust the PLL settings to get 180 MHz. Or let CubeMX do it for you as KnarfB suggested.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

You get there via the factors in the PLL

The VCO frequency needs to be 360 MHz, it is a PULSE generator, so needs a minimum DIV2 to get a viable 50/50 duty signal to clock the reset of the IC

As I recall the PLL comparison frequency is between 1 and 2 MHz.

The math to compute factors is not unduly hard, most of us could do this in our heads or with simple fitter/solver apps prior to CubeMX

Select the HSE value, and clock coming out of the PLL, and it can back-compute the factors

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

What about the code generated by CubeMX in the `SystemCoreClockUpdate()`?

0693W00000GVwWzQAL.png 

This is referencing pre-defined constants in `stm32f4xx_hal_conf.h`.

I can't tell if this function is getting called by anything or not. If it is, then I would have to update the constants in `stm32f4xx_hal_conf.h` to achieve the correct configurations

That calculates the core clock based on current register settings. It doesn't change anything. SystemCoreClock is just a variable.

The chip always boots up using the 16 MHz HSI as the system clock.

Clock configuration is changed in SystemClock_Config() within main.c by default.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

you config looks good.

KnarfB

right - so this function can be ignored? Or are you saying that this function gets called when the chip first boots up, and then SystemClock_Config() re-configures the clock when the program starts?

I'm not sure what you want to do with that function. You shouldn't need to use it.

SystemCoreClock is initialized to 16000000 in system_*.c. Because that's the clock speed on startup, there's no need to call this function.

SystemClock_Config() changes the clock at the start of main() and from within there, HAL_RCC_ClockConfig() is called and from within there, SystemCoreClock is updated.