cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the stm32cubeide keep changing the build and other layouts?

jhanc.11
Senior

is there a way to lock the views? I can understand having a build view and a debug view, maybe a run view, but every time I move windows where I want them, as soon as I build, debug, etc the console log moves or some other window jumps to the top. Is there a way to lock them in place? permanently? This has plagued me since the beginning years ago so it must be something I'm not doing correctly.

8 REPLIES 8
S.Ma
Principal

Eclipse apparently went overboard in flexiblity and complexity, options become needles in a haystack. Compare it with VSC or IAR interfaces.... or companies which, after expanding, go back to their core business... now powerful freeware tools are eating your time....

TDK
Guru

You typically have a programming view and a debug view. Windows shouldn't be changing randomly except when the IDE switches between those views.

Windows like Console or Search will pop up if they are closed and you do something which requires those windows.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
jhanc.11
Senior

Here's a typical scenario:

1) I use the C++ editing with the project files on the left and the source in the middle. I might have something else on the right occasionally. If I open the include browser, for instance, it pops up and overlays on the upper right. all is fine.

2) I build the project and the console output opens on the bottom. All is cool.

3) I then hit debug (to debug the program) and it all goes to hell. A debug window opens, different than mine, and I can't get back to the window layout in #1.

4) if before I hit debug I go into the debug screen layout (by hitting the bug in the upper right) I can switch back and forth to the c++ and debug windows but once I hit run->debug, I can't.

5) Then, because of the mode I am in, if I build, the console output shows up on the upper right. If I drag it to the bottom where I want it, it generally gives me a /O but even if I can get it to the bottom, it overlays the source and project windows instead of just the source.

Anyone that says this interface knows what I mean. Eclipse had the same issues. you should be able to freeze a layout so that it is predicable.

Other issues:

1) multiple watch windows show up all the time and I can't figure out which has the variables I want. I get two sets of glasses on the right bar.

2) sometimes the button for the SFRs and other processor registers is lost and you have to go to the window command menu to bring them up.

Dont get me wrong, the product is great for free but inconsistency in the interface is a real pain.

But the debugger is fantastic. Stlink is just great as long as you have the debugger selected. For some reason, my mac only works with the openOcd (appropriately named) and my windows machine, GDB.

Thanks for the input.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Eclipse has so called perspectives. One can switch them from Window->Perspective menu or the toolbar. Perspectives can switch automatically when the debugger starts. The "widgets" are called views. Their state normally is saved with each perspective where they are selected. Find more in the Eclipse documentation.

AScha.3
Chief II

Hello, i have STM32CubeIDE running since version 1.0.0 running at work on Win7 PC and at home on Linux Mx18 PC. Behavior was different from beginning ; ide (eclipse) has 3 views: c(edit) , CubeMX and debug. on Win most time switching from C edit to chip MX edit, view changed not correct, just CubeMX starting in a black window in center, closing and starting again gives chip view, but in small center window; need click on MX view, to get it, like i set it (full size).

0693W00000WKUFsQAP.pngon Linux was perfect: switching to debug or MX , changed the whole windows setup as i set it, always.

and go back, finish debug, switched back to editor view with all settings i made perfectly.

until - something happened. ide hang up...restart, seem ok, but since then: similar to Win PC , swichting between views not complete, sometime "forget" to switch, suddenly new window arrangemant , can "restore" , then most time (!) correct, as before.

so can work with this behaviour, but giving me the feeling, something wrong now.

just show, how i setup views:

C edit:

0693W00000WKURZQA5.pngCubeMX:

0693W00000WKURtQAP.pngand debug:

0693W00000WKUSNQA5.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Could reinstall. Doesn’t sound like your experience is what others are seeing which makes it hard to debug.
CubeIDE is eclipse slightly modified.
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Before reinstalling - try a new clean workspace first.

jhanc.11
Senior

I have it installed on 4 machines. The mac seems the worst. I'm using a windows PC today and it seems better than the mac.