cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE requires libncurses.so.5, which is not provided on Fedora 37 anymore.

flxzt
Associate II

I recently updated my Fedora installation to the 37 beta. Because the package `ncurses-compat-libs` which provided the ncurses5 library was removed, I am unable to install STM32CubeIDE.

A fix would be to update the dependency to version 6, which is provided by Fedora 37 by `ncurses-libs`.

18 REPLIES 18
pinaar
Associate II

I had the same problem with Ubuntu 23.10 when I tried installing STM32CubeIDE with en.st-stm32cubeide_1.13.2_18220_20230914_1601_amd64.deb_bundle.sh.zip, but it installed successfully with the Generic Linux version, en.st-stm32cubeide_1.14.0_19471_20231121_1200_amd64.sh.zip. My OS uses ncurses6 and STM32CubeIDE is running fine under Ubuntu.

However, the STM32CubeIDE installation is broken! I.e., while I didn't get any errors installing it, I just got one from the debugger! I was able to Build my project, but when I plugged the board with ST-Link and ran the debugger, I got this error:

Could not determine GDB version using command: arm-none-eabi-gdb --version
arm-none-eabi-gdb: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So, GDB was expecting libncurses.so.5 but I only have libncurses.so.6! So, it's back to trying to install ncurses5.

Sorry for jumping the gun on this.

Oskar_H
Senior

For Fedora, try this library as a replacement : ncurses-compat-libs.

For Ubuntu, have a look at this, it is for Debian but should also work.

pinaar
Associate II

I got my STM32CubeIDE to work under Ubuntu 23.10 by building gcc-arm-none-eabi-10.3-2021.10 and replacing the original STM32CubeIDE/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.11.3.rel1.linux64_1.1.100.202309141235/tools/bin/arm-none-eabi-gdb with the new one. The build took several hours of machine time on an  i7-5820K with 16 GB RAM. I was too lazy to trim it down to just build the arm-none-eabi-gdb since the configuration was too daunting for me.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Ah so it is gdb. I thought it is the cube programmer CLI. Then removing this dependency isn't trivial - but still not a rocket science.

Hi,

I got the same issue with Debian Sid, libncurses5 does not exists anymore.

Please update gdb build with up to date dependencies. libncurses6 exists in ubuntu since 20.04 (4 years ago).

My STM32CubeIDE installation was running OK on Ubuntu 23 but then it broke; I think it was when I installed the separate STM32Cube Programmer. I found libncurses.so.5 in /snap/core18/2812/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu so I did

sudo vi /etc/ld.so.conf and added the line

/snap/core18/2812/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

and then sudo ldconfig. That fixed it for me.

Thanks! This work for me"

pkoevesdi
Senior

On Ubuntu 23.04 I encountered the same problem, and `libncurses5` cannot be installed anymore.

New Solution:

`sudo apt install gdb-multiarch`

And then, go to "Window" -> "Preferences" -> "Toolchain Manager" -> "Add Local" and set it up like this:

pkoevesdi_0-1711469167502.png

Then "Set Default" on this new entry.

Thanks!

that worked for me in Ubuntu Studio 24.04 with STM32CubeIDE 1.15 (installed with generic linux installer).

Best regards,

Moreto