cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE Crashes When Opening a Project

Ryan Coleman
Associate II

Hello, I'm new to the forums and far from proficient with coding (mechanical eng.), so I'll do my best to be explain my issue and work through it with you guys.

I went to use CubeIDE yesterday and found I couldn't create a project from an existing ioc file. I would go through the prompts, click finish, and the window to create a project would just stay open.

I uninstalled CubeIDE and installed v1.7.0 from the website. I now can't create any project, from ioc or otherwise. When I attempt to create a project CubeIDE just crashes. I see a window pop up very briefly after the main program crashes. I think it says checking for updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My company is trying to make headway on a battery management system and I have no way to test code without the IDE.

Ryan

8 REPLIES 8
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Ryan!

It seems a bit similar to what happened in this thread where Wayland was the culprit. You could also check to see if anything changes if you switch workspace when launching STM32CubeIDE.

If none of those are the case then is it possible for you to:

1. Send the workspace log located at $workspace/.metadata/log
  2. Take a screenshot of the error (or crash?) as it happens.

Thank you in advance!

Ryan Coleman
Associate II

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your help!

I looked through that thread and I don't think it's applicable. I'm using Windows 10 and from my understanding Wayland is a Linux protocol?

I've tried switching workspaces and creating a new workspace. This doesn't fix the problem.

Attached is the workspace log. Unfortunately, there's not really a screenshot to send. CubeIDE crashes instantly when I try to create a new project.

Best,

Ryan

Hello again Ryan,

Thanks for trying my suggestions. If you're on Windows 10 then it doesn't apply to the Wayland problem, that's for sure!

What directories do you have the installation of STM32CubeIDE and the workspace in? From the log I suspect there might be a problem with the paths. It's recommended to choose a short path to avoid facing Windows limitations with too long paths for the workspace and/or installation.

Furthermore, it looks like there might be some spaces in the paths which some plugins within the installation can't handle properly. It's a known issue that has been the product since the very beginning mentioned on the known issue list here.

"59435 - Having a space or non-ASCII character in the project/workspace path or installation path is not fully supported."

Ryan Coleman
Associate II

The workspace is in G:\Shared drives\Barrel Monkey\Design\Battery\Code

We are using Google Drive file stream to share the code. We haven't had any issues except for on my computer.

As far as I can tell, this is the path for my CubeIDE install.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\STMicroelectronics\STM32CubeIDE 1.7.0

Does that help?

Thanks!

Ryan Coleman
Associate II

Typing that out I realize that our shared drive has a space in the workspace path.

I just tried to create a workspace without any spaces and CubeIDE still crashed.

Does this, perhaps, suggest that the installation path is the culprit?

If so, how do I change the installation path?

Thanks for taking the time to help us.

Where did you put the workspace instead? I believe some errors could be because the workspace is in the shared Google Drive which could cause some problems.

I would suggest that you put the workspace locally on your computer (for example C:\Users\USER\STM32CubeIDE\workspace) and then if you share a project you can import the project by going to "File -> Import -> General -> Projects from Folder or Archive".

The path for your installation is most likely in the C:\ST directory, by default. The path you provided is only for the start menu shortcut.

Ryan Coleman
Associate II

I used a local directory for the workspace when I was trying to figure out the problem.

Here are some screenshots of the workspace directories that I just tried.

Using these, I still get an instant crash.

Here is the installation path

C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.7.0\STM32CubeIDE

Ryan Coleman
Associate II

It looks like those screenshots didn't post, so here are the directories I used for the workspace:

C:\Users\Ryan\.stm32cubeide

C:\Users\Ryan\.stm32cubeide\TestWorkspace