cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial wire viewer not enable

Ranjeet Singh
Senior

RanjeetSingh_0-1692706240606.png

i can not enable Serial wire Viewer .what i am missing ?

6 REPLIES 6
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

SWV is not selectable because Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M0+ do not contain SWV, as can be read in e.g. KAN-297 from ARM:

Serial Wire Viewer (SWV) is a data trace feature found on many ARM Cortex-M3, M4, M7, M23, and M33 processors. Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M0+ do not have SWV.

If the problem is solved, please click Accept as Solution. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Can't work on Cortex-M0(+), need to use other methods.

Keil uses Event Recording https://www.keil.com/appnotes/files/apnt_321.pdf

Some STM32 CM0(+) have UART pins mappable to SWDIO/SWCLK allowing for diagnostic output and sometimes input, via those pins absent a debug pod.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
RhSilicon
Lead

Perhaps an alternative is to write the code for some MCU that has advanced debugging support, and then when it's functional, port the code to the MCU that doesn't have advanced debugging support.

+1 Yes using a proxy would be a possible path. If the problem is more nuanced that might be more difficult. The CM0(+) is distinctly more fussy about memory alignments, and instructions.

Having a good Hard Fault Handler, with diagnostic register, stack and opcode output can be very helpful for both lab and field debugging of issues via a serial terminal.

Ranjeet Singh
Senior

https://deepbluembedded.com/stm32-debugging-with-st-link-v2-swd-serial-wire-viewer/ 

i am following above instruction .its enanle in above microcontroller,why not in mine ?

To repeat once more, the SWV functionality is NOT implemented in CM0(+) cores, but is in CM3 and CM4(F)

The STM32F1 is a Cortex-M3 processor, the STM32L4 is a Cortex-M4F processor.