cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

receive and send file in stm32f429zi

naveenchandran
Associate II

I want to send a file from terminal tool to stm32f429zi via RS485(USB to RS485 and transceiver) and store the received file in stm32F429zi board and again send it back to terminal tool and i want to know ,is it possible or not? and its not possible, what's the other ways to do these task.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

You can send data between PC and USB. UART has no concept of what a file is. You would need to encode that information (file name, length, etc.) and interpret it on either side.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TDK
Guru

You can send data between PC and USB. UART has no concept of what a file is. You would need to encode that information (file name, length, etc.) and interpret it on either side.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

You control the SW and HW, should be able to code something that works for you.

Something like X-MODEM might work, or you can come up with a different  protocol.

Or stream data as lines from a .HEX file, provided you can absorb the data at full-rate, half-duplex.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

X-modem should be good. Many terminal programs support it and ST provides it in examples. It allows to send filenames with the data automatically.

Karl Yamashita
Lead II

Sending the file contents to the STM32 is easy. The real question is what is you definition of "store"? Do you want to store the file contents into ram, program flash or external memory? Did you want to be able to power cycle the board and still have the file retrievable? Is the file small enough to fit into ram or flash? 

If you find my answers useful, click the accept button so that way others can see the solution.

its a 1KB file....is it possible to store it in RAM or FLASH....

can you please share some example links....